New key - Ford Fiesta?

muffin1973

Hi all,

Myself and my other half have a 00 Ford Fiesta. It started acting up a couple of weeks ago - wouldn't start in the mornings and we put it down to the cold weather (started fine later on in the day).

However, my husband eventually thought to try starting the car with my key, and it started no problem. We assume therefore that there is some sort of battery in the key that might interact with the engine and his has just run down. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, is it possible to replace it. Or do I have to buy a new key altogether and if so, where could I get one?? We bought the car privately.

Thanks

M

Hi,

If your car has an immobiliser then it could be down to that. If their is a screw on the key, unscrew and change the battery otherwise you might have to go to a main dealer which won't be cheap. Good luck anyhow.

Jockey.

Theres no battery in the key,just a chip that beams out a code to the immobiliser which "allows" the engine's computer start the engine. You should have a light flashing on the dash when the immobiliser doesn't receive this code. Any decent locksmith/keycutter can reproduce these Ford keys. If you have the red key bring that key to be copied. This might help.

Back