New iPod Nano

MonsieurBond

Looks like the MP3 player to beat, at least in the 2GB - 4GB segment.

€200 for 2GB or €259 for 5GB from the [broken link removed].

I want one!!!
  • Holds up to 1,000 songs and full-color album art
  • Only 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27 inches and 1.5 ounces
  • Bright 1.5-inch color LCD display
  • Up to 14 hours of battery life
  • Apple Click Wheel
  • Charges and syncs via USB
  • Accessory-compatible Dock connector
  • Completely skip-free playback
  • Works with Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP
  • Plays music, podcasts and audiobooks
  • Holds up to 25,000 photos
  • Syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists

MonsieurBond said:
I want one!!!

Me too, will be putting an order in shortly.

I was seriously considering the ipod photo but realised 100+ albums at one time is plenty!

What happens when your iTunes database exceeds the capacity of your iPod - Can you set it to pick up a random selection of your tunes every time you connect?

yep.... 2 options
- Autofill (fills randomly up to what ever capacity is in the iPod)
- Drop in what ever you desire

ninsaga

APPLE revealed two new music players yesterday which it hopes will secure its dominance of the digital music market.

The hi-tech firm's pencil-thin 'iPod nano' and a long-anticipated mobile phone that plays music like an iPod, are both aimed at extending domination of the digital music market.

Apple has about 75pc of the market for digital music players, with iPod sales accounting for about one-third of its total revenue.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said competitors had set their sights on the iPod mini, which he said was Apple's best-selling iPod model.

He said that in 2006, some 30pc of all new US cars will sport stereos that can easily connect to iPods.

The seriously slimmed-down nano - a quarter of an inch (0.6 cm) thick, 3.5 inches (9 cm) long and 1.5 inches (4 cm) wide - wowed the audience at its product release in San Francisco, outdoing the buzz generated by Apple's Rokr phone, which some said failed to meet high expectations for designs.

The nano is nearly as small as the entry-level iPod Shuffle, but can hold up to 1,000 songs.

The nano replaces the mini, and Gartner analyst Van Baker said that Apple - which has sold 21 million iPods since introducing them in 2001 - has moved the goal posts farther down the field with the nano. "It changes the rules of the game," Mr Baker said.

The iPod nano uses flash memory chips to store songs and photos, rather than the hard-disk drives that the iPod mini and the larger iPods use.

The Rokr phone is Apple's long-awaited foray into the wireless realm. Developed with Motorola, it can store up to 100 songs and has a color screen, stereo speakers and headphones and a camera. But some said the silver phone did not meet style expectations set by Apple's iPod and Motorola's slim flagship Razr phone, and others cited its limited song capacity for iPod users accustomed to carrying thousands of songs.

No 1 US mobile service Cingular Wireless will be the exclusive US carrier of the phone, which it will sell for $249.99 (€202) to customers who sign up for a two-year service contract.

The phone does not allow wireless downloads, but does eliminate the need to carry two separate gadgets.

Motorola said the phone would be available in the UK at Carphone Warehouse stores in mid-September, and through operators such as O2, Orange, BT Mobile and Virgin Mobile this month or next.

Music is expected to be one of the hottest new features in mobile phones, which already sport everything from cameras to video players. Apple has to keep up a steady pace of innovative music products to maintain the level of growth investors now expect.

Apple said it was teaming with car makers Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to integrate its iPod products into their car stereos for 2006 model lines.

Please don't articles or press releases verbatim when you can link to them instead. Thanks,

Thanks, Ninsaga. Are there other MP3 players that I can use to play my iTunes-purchased music?

RainyDay said:
Thanks, Ninsaga. Are there other MP3 players that I can use to play my iTunes-purchased music?

Right now it's just the various flavours of iPod and the Motorola ROKR phone.

..I believe that the way iTunes encodes music files (AAC encoding or something like that) means that they will only work with iPods.. could be wrong there though.

ninsaga

ninsaga said:
..I believe that the way iTunes encodes music files (AAC encoding or something like that) means that they will only work with iPods.. could be wrong there though.

ninsaga

Yup, thats more or less it. Some other players support standard AAC files, but the ones you purchase from iTunes also have an Apple DRM feature on them.

ninsaga said:
I believe that the way iTunes encodes music files (AAC encoding or something like that) means that they will only work with iPods.. could be wrong there though.

is there not a winamp plugin, for transferring music to your ipod, saves ya using Itunes, but im sure you might be able to convert the tracks to work with other players

do a search on google for a winamp itunes plugin :)

If you burn the itunes downloads to a audio cd then add then from there to itunes (again) they will then be coverted to whatever you have your import setting in itunes set to. Thus allowing you to use the tracks on any mp3 player. However this is not very handy if you get alot of music form itunes.

rainyday said:
What happens when your iTunes database exceeds the capacity of your iPod - Can you set it to pick up a random selection of your tunes every time you connect?

ninsaga said:
yep.... 2 options
- Autofill (fills randomly up to what ever capacity is in the iPod)
- Drop in what ever you desire

ninsaga

There is a third option - you can designate one or more Playlists to be synchronised automatically.

So you could make one big "iPod" Playlist and all the albums in this list will be synched.

I bought the iPod nano - was going to buy an iPod Shuffle for its memory key and song playing capabilities but couldn't resist spending the extra for the nano instead. In terms of bang per buck, you get more for your money with the nano versus the Shuffle - LCD display, best user interface and navigation on the market (click-wheel), larger capacity, cool black option (!).

iPod Nano 4Gb
Apple store Eire €259.00 - €259.00
Apple store UK £179.00 - €252.17
Apple store USA $249.00 - €204.67
Apple store Japan ¥27,800 - €205.09

iPod Photo 60Gb
Apple store Eire €448.99 - €448.99
Apple store UK £299.00 - €443.53
Apple store USA $399.00 - €327.84
Apple store Japan ¥45,800 - €337.85

[font=Helvetica,Geneva,Arial][/font]Do you know anyone outside of Europe?

I got an email from apple this morning saying that the iPod Nano starts at €209 inc vat. Could be for the 2Gb version. I'm going to wait until I go to America in November to pick one up.

And if you don't like itunes software like me, have a lot of .wma files and don't like aac files than invest the 25$ for Anapod explorer from redchairsoftware and you can drag/drop direct from your Windows Explorer with automatic conversion from .wma to .mp3.

I had the shuffle but I upgraded to a black 4 gb nano, best decision I made in a while. Good interface, once you learn how to use the wheel and the display is very good. Colour and good size.

The email I got also said there's a discount for teachers and students on the apple website - not much use to me unless I go kipnap a teacher!

Back