New house with large water tank, making a lot of noise

MWalsh3683

We recently bought a house and the previous owner had installed a new large water tank, as they had also added a jacuzzi bath that needed a larger tank. The water pressure is great in both showers and the bath amazing but the noise from this tank when the toilet is flushed or water used is horrendous. It is only a small house so we have started not to flush toilets during the night and have to use the cold water tap downstairs if we need to run any water. Otherwise it wakes everyone else up. I think it is a soundproofing issues so my question is this - do I need a plumber to fix a problem or is it someone to deal with soundproofing or both? We need some kind of shelving in this hot press too, but first thing is to limit the noise. Thanks for your help.

image1 (2).jpeg
Picture1.png

Sounds like your problem is water hammer in the attic tank that feeds the toilet and hot water cylinder in the picture.

I had the same problem, it is usually an easy and inexpensive fix from any decent plumber.

Sounds like your problem is water hammer in the attic tank that feeds the toilet and hot water cylinder in the picture.

I had the same problem, it is usually an easy and inexpensive fix from any decent plumber.
Thanks so much Des, much appreciated.

Some of your pipes look like they are rubbing and banging off each other.
Try jamming bits of rag between the contact points. It might reduce the noise.

Yep, if the problem happens when the toilet (cold water feed from tank in attic usually) then the problem is not related to the immersion tank or hot side.

Yep I'd go along with the water hammer issue too and definitely the pipes (the Hot water ones anyway) would benefit from some Armaflex pipe insulation which should reduce the water hammer (They're easy enough to split and put round the pipes and secure with some insulation or duct tape). I also wonder is some of the noise from the ball valve water inflow from the tank in your attic? If so there's a couple of possible solutions - it's possible with some ball valves to get a down pipe whereby the water is released under the water level of the tank rather than spraying out on the surface. I'd also advocate investigating putting a cover of sorts (maybe even a sheet of wall insulation) over the tank, if for no reason to prevent flies and other undesirables from dropping into your domestic water supply up there!

Can you describe the noise? Is it banging or the sound of water falling into the tank from a height or more like a deep hissing noise (water forcing its way through too small a gap)? All are solvable without trying to add sound insulation which will not work well.

Back