New House with Damp - What recourse to the builders

cormacol

Hi all

I moved into a house about six months ago and i recently notice mould/damp on the ceiling of my ensuite. I'm not sure why this has happened it is possible the extractor isn't working correclty. In anycase - i noticed last night that there were strange spots on the back wall of my bedroom which might also be damp.

Any recommendations? Do i have any recourse to the builders

If the back wall you refer to is north facing this may just be down to poor ventilation and condensation. A new house requires about 6-9 moths to completely dry out or to reach an equilibrium as regards moisture content. Allow plenty of ventilation and gentle heating to help the process. If you are drying clothes indoors or doing a lot of cooking you will need good ventilation to prevent the build up of moisture vapour which then condenses on the cooler surfaces in your dwelling (north facing walls, behind beds and wardrobes/ built-in furniture). Only when you have eliminated these possibilites should you approach your builder, in my opinion.

Have to agree with Carpenter.

Slow or possibly no ventilation is most likely your problem. Avoid drying clothes on the rads as this will give you huge problems with condensation. Get your vent. system operating properly and if things are very bad use a dehumidifier for a week to see if that improves things.

Wipe the black spots every day with a damp cloth taken from a basin of water with about a half cupfull of vinegar added. You should see an improvement after about 7 - 10 days. You will then need to apply an undercoat of paint to the affected area before repainting with emulsion

Hope this helps

Do you turn off the fan immdiately after a shower or do do you give it an extra 15 mins or so. If it's the former, and you leave your ensuite door open, this might explain how damp is appearing in both rooms.

Condensation can take longer to clear depending on which way the extractor wall is facing and the resistance it faces to do its job effectively.