New House - Settlement cracks

S

sly

Recently moved into a new house and as is common we have settlement cracks in the ceiling . What is the best way to fix these? Is there a special plaster to buy and how do i ensure that the finish is smooth?

Thanks
Sly

You will continue to see these appear over the next few months as the house drys out. I would leave them until at least the end of the summer and then its fill and sand, fill and sand.......

If gaps appears in joints between wood and plaster (e.g. along stairs) use flexible filler i.e. painters mate\caulking, no need to sand. This should be applied with a gun.

Buy yourself a good quality filling knife.

You may also see "nail pops" i.e. where plaster pops out from a fixing. Tip the top of the nail with gloss paint and fill with polyfilla when the paint is dry.

Good luck.

Thanks Bricktop, will wait till then. As it happens stairs is an issue as well. Again thanks for the advice

We had lots of nail pops and small cracks in the plaster too. Leave them for about 6 months or so or you'll be forever filling them in. If your builders are still on site ask them for some of the ceiling and wall paint...or the reference numbers to get some yourself. Then you won't have unsightly white polyfilla marks on your magnolia walls (educated guess that the place is painted in magnolia:D )

Use builders caulk to fill in any gaps that arise in woodwork, skirtings etc as this can be painted over. For the nail pops and plaster cracks use Pollyfilla one fill. Unlike the normal pollyfilla it doesn't dry really hard and the one fill stuff can be sanded down before you paint over it.

have to agree with others posts, all, I mean all new builds will crack as heating comes on and timbers swell/skrink/settle. They will all befixed on the 2nd decor and 90% wont return. Constanly filling them now is a waste of effort.

Good luck in new house

i also have lots of cracks in my walls however one of them is worrying me. A large crack in the wall which has peeled away some plaster to reveal a brick which is also cracked...is this bad?

Back