new house, have to buy shower door?

blinkbelle

hi,

A friend of mine has just bought a new house but has now only realised that there is no door on the shower!

Im just wondering should there be one or is this how some houses are? I know when i bought my new house a couple of months ago i got a shower door included.

I'm afraid this is the norm in most schemes of houses and apartments. for two reasons- cost and difficulty of sealing against water ingress/egress. You can spend anything from €200 to €1000 on a shower screen/ door, multiply this out over a large scheme and the cost is significant. However probably the biggest deterent to builders supplying and fitting the door is the problems associated with leaks afterwards- by not supplying and fitting a door the builder cannot be held accountable for any claims for water damage later. Sharp practice I suppose but that's what is done.

Carpenter said:
Sharp practice I suppose but that's what is done.

Sure is. Whatever about a bath screen a shower door is a necessity. How is one meant to get just a door?

Was there one in the show house?. Who would be expected to buy a new house with a shower and no door? "Are there doors on the bedrooms!" It would be easier and cheaper to fit a bedroom door, ask them would they swap.I can see why carpenter good plan for builder if they can get away with it, but its ridiculous,

Did your friend not snag the property or have someone snag it for her?

I would certainly place a call to the builder as soon as possible.

Hi.

I have bought a couple of houses in the last while (and viewed quite a few others) - all new builds, none of which had a shower door as standard. This seems to be the norm now. Saddle boards for doorways are also almost extinct and builders are using the " it makes life easier for laying a wooden floor line" to get round not supplying them. All fine until one decides to carpet a bedroom and then discovers the doors are too long and need to be taken down and have the botttom of them cut!

Ps: Just to clarify it is the actual shower enclosure door I am talking about.

igora said:
I have bought a couple of houses in the last while (and viewed quite a few others) - all new builds, none of which had a shower door as standard. This seems to be the norm now.

Wow. I guess new builds won't come with toilet seats next??

Silly question, but by shower door, do you mean the glass door at the entrance to the shower ? or the door into the ensuite/bathroom ?? someone mentioned carpenters in previous posts.
moved into my new house a few months ago and we bought our own, glass door, would have always thought this was the norm anyway, as people would rather have the choice of door type..

Our apartment (bought July 2004) came with a shower door in the en suite and a screen on the bath in the main bathroom.

When we purchased last year we didn't get a shower door for the walk in shower, we did get a tiling allowance and partially used it towards the cost of a shower door (we did get tiles as well).
i think its becoming standard not to fit a door, although in saying that my builder did include a lot of stuff I've seen other developers make people buy, like a fitted kitchen, fireplace allowance, all rooms painted, coving in the downstairs rooms, tiling allowance...

My newly built apartment has the shower tray but not the enclosure. I think when you buy a new build nowadays you rarely get the shower enclosure included. P.S. B&Q have a good range, from the cheap(€300) to the V expensive (€2000) YIKES!

We never got a door either and apperantly its whats been done now, i did argue that what ever was standard in the show house should be standard in the other houses but was told there was no way they were going to buy nd fit a door for me...so basically tough!! - Wasnt too impressed at all but went out and bought a door and then paid the onsite plumber to install it for me at €80!

Seems the majority of news builds do not include the shower door. At least in my area all the recent new houses did not include it. Most people get their showers tiled and so the door cannot be fitted until after and if your tiling is not included then the shower door seems to be an item left to the purchaser. Check your contract and list of what is included as the showhouse is usually of a higher spec than what is on offer from my experience.

Check your contract - ours did not come with a shower door,
I think one of the reasons, is that you are supposed to tile before installing the shower door.

So the builder don't want to be held up while you arrange a tiler

Hi There,
Myself and a few friends had a chat about the cost of shower doors recently. I am convinced that there is a price fixing going on when it comes to shower doors. How can a sheet of plastic cost so much. In the end, I bought a shower curtain, works grand. Friends (after a lot of research) found that Davis (i think that is what they said) out Swords way, were one of the cheapest.
Lab-rat
P.S you know you are getting old when you end up talking about the cost of shower doors with your mates

I bought a shower door and side panel for under €150 in B& Q a couple of weeks ago.

ClaireM said:
I bought a shower door and side panel for under €150 in B& Q a couple of weeks ago.

speaking of B&Q I see they have issued a profits statement profits down 70% so they'll need to either increase prices to meet the shortfall or leave prices as they are and sell more goods I reckon their Irish stores are doing well they always seem to be very busy at weekends and there does seem to be some genuine bargains to be had I wonder can it last with results like that?

B&Q are going through a lot of expansion, so I wouldn't be unduely worried. As ever, just shop around and make sure you're getting the best deal.