new house -flat roof

pinkie123

just wondering has anybody any opinions on buying a flat-roofed [+ skylight+solar panels] modern new build rather than traditional slate roofed house. apart from the obvious - i.e. no attic. tx

Water Ponding on the roof and managing to seal a flat roof are always the main concerns.

From an insurance point of view flat roofs are classed as higher risk and won't be covered if over 10 years old on most policies (unless re felted and sealed etc). If it were me I'd give it a miss. My gran has a flat roof extension built about 8 years ago. It pools the water and the room below is damp. On going maintenance is an added expense and the room below the flat roof is always colder.

That is pretty much the only experience I have with a flat roof so I may be incorrect.

what about if you are on the top floor of an apartment block - i.e. that is a flat roof. thats what I'm talking about. except this is a terraced house not an apartment.

Here is a pic of what i mean. Roof will not be a felt roof - will be concrete.
sorry can't attach a pic

modern flat roof constructions are infinitely better than the old timber and felt type, especially as the substructure is concrete. pinkie, if you can attach a pic it would be great.. perhaps use a site like http://photobucket.com/

The insurance issue is just a throw back to the type that weren't designed to last over 10 years but were often left to rot for a lot further than that.

PVC, butyl etc finishes now have life spans of 50 + years.

thanks a mil syd!
here it is:

it's a really mod house - with the living upstairs bedrooms downstairs. I love the idea of it just wondering is it better to go for a more traditional house with slate roof - living downstairs

looks great....., if only other developers were openminded enough to see the prospects of such a design. *sigh*

have you any idea what the actual roof finish is?? ie is it uPVC (trocal), or a Butyl systems? or a Bitumen Felt type?

Thats what i think. The living area upstairs is huge and open-plan which I love. There is a balcony as well with steps down to the back garden. Master bedroom has french doors leading to the garden.
Just trying to be practical and not let the heart rule the head. Thats why wondering about the flat roof. I will have to find out what the finish of the roof is.

Sorry for jumping in here. Interested in buying second hand house. Entire roof is flat, just timber and felt. Have paid initial deposit. Had survey done yesterday and the guy said that he would be concerned about the flat roof as there has been nothing done to it in the past 10yrs and that you would probably only get another 5 years max out of it. Should I be really concerned, how much would it cost to re- do the roof?

well, yes, you should be concerned if the survey highlights it as an issue.

Im sure there threads already regarding changing a flat roof to pitched etc.