New House Extension - Are prices dropping in current climate?

marty004

Before anyone replies I have looked at most of the extension posts before writing this one but found most of them to be Dublin based prices.

We are looking to extend our kitchen out the side of our house. Extension is roughly about between 300-350 sq ft.

I'm just wondering in the current climate are prices competitive out there at the minute?? I saw a previous post where in Dublin they were charging anything from €130 to €250 per sq ft. I presume this was during the construction boom when we were all paying extortionate prices toward property.

I live in the Mallow area so I'm hoping an extension doesn't cost as much as in Dublin as house prices are obviously much lower here!! What should I expect to pay in 2008?

If anyone has had this size of an extension built in the last couple of months in this area could they let me know roughly how much it cost and if there is anyone reading this post from the building trade - are prices for building work coming down or is it still the same?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Pricing is becoming more competitive as builders are reducing margins in order to secure work. That said the cost of labour is still high and may stablize but the cost of materials are ever increasing. The benifit of one fundamental declining is outweighted by another fundamental increasing. So to answer your question in my opinion you should expect 2008 prices to samilar or silghtly more expensive than 2007.

You need to get out there and speak to a few builders inorder to gauge the cost of your extension or get a good QS to draft up a fully rated and detailed BOQ.

Joejoe

thanks for that - actually had architect out last week and he reckons that in the north cork area going by his recent experience in the trade (plus teh fact he just got an extension done himself!) I should be able to get an extension from anywhere between €85 - €110 per sq feet and that builders have been actually contacting his archtects to see if there is any work out there. Going by this I should be able to get a competitive price.