New House - Doors pulling away from frame

J

John81

In a new house six months and I have some doors that have pulled away from their frames which I believe is normal and they can be rehung - however one door has contracted greater than a half inch and door latch no longer catches!! So the door swings in the breeze!

What is the best course of action?

John

If its that much off I would go back to the contractor about it as that is definitely not normal. There is always a certain level of expansion & shrinkage in doors of new houses due to the initial high moisture content.

Is there a possibility that the door was planed down at an earlier date?

No, nothing has been carried out with that door. It could be partly the contracting of the door and partly the frame?

Whats the solution d'you think? Should the frame AND door be taken off and put up again?

A good chippie could probably offer better advice but I would think that a larger door stop can be fitted. Thats the piece of wood thats nailed to the frame against which the door closes.

Its called a door stop or stopper because it basically stops the door from moving any further after you close it.

I would still be concerned at the extent of the gap that is there now. That would not be normal and I would still suggest that you bring it to the contractors attention