New house build - where are delays

CubicYard1

Hi,

I am always hearing different lengths of time for building a new house. Some people get it done in 7-8 months. Some people take 2 years.
The average seems to be about 12-14 months.

Where in general do the delays arise ?

I am sure size of house and complexity can cause delays but I have seen very average houses take well over 1.5 years.

Most "delays" are probably just a matter of gaps between one trade finishing their bit and another one starting. If all workers and tradesmen were pre booked and arrived on time and - then delays wouldn't happen. But in the real world builders and tradesmen will try and fit in as many jobs as they can - often meaning they will be late for your job.
Many slow houses are also probably just "slow" because the person building doesn't have the funds available in time.
Delays to watch out for other than workmen not turning up - are things like weather (frost or snow or rain) delaying work. ESB connection can be a problem sometimes - so apply early and keep chasing them.
Try and get as many things going on at the same time if possible - i.e don't wait till the house is finished till you sort out driveway and drains etc.
If it's speed you want - then timber frame may be the route to take.
Good LUck

Another reason I've seen builds take alot longer are when people are depending on friends/familly that are in the trades and are going to do them a favour. Not easy to put pressure on someone who is going to do a job for you for 1/2 the price of someone else.

If you go for something different in your windows also you can be looking at a lead time of 3 months min from the date of order. That means no internal work can start which again delays things.

If you are interested www.selfbuild.ie are running a self builders seminar day at the end of this month.

Perculation test misunderstandings cost us 6 weeks

The planners requested additional information on the sewage system as the report submitted was incorrect - 8 weeks

The ESB delayed us by 9 months - we required two poles to be laid.

We had a contractor - so the build went fast enough

Thanks All.

Wow bertson, sounds rough - what exactly is a percolation test - I know its something to do with installing a septic tank but what exactly does it entail and can you somehow 'fail' the test ?

Hi,

A friend who is expecting to build has been told that pre-planning meetings no longer take place. Is this information accurate.

Thanks

Justsally

Watch out for delays if you're getting wooden windows - 12 week leadtime for our build!

JustSally; I had a pre-planning meeting last Thursday.
I'm in Wexford; maybe it depends on what council you are with.

Has anyone asked whther or not the house here will be built using a contractor, or direct labour?

Direct labour will ineviatbly slow it down

Back