New House Build - Advice

L

LouthMan

Guys

Building a new house in Louth

Know any good local Contractors in the North east ?
Wood Pellet/Chip burners, which is the best.
Also UFH, which is the best option ?
There is a very good plasterboard with insulation, which should I use ?
What spec should I put in for my timber frame, so contractors are pricing the same as each other.

Putting a Tender Doc ready for the contractor, has anyone completed this before and any advice also would be great ?

1. no sorry
2. if you have continuous availability of good quality wood, then go for a wood gasification boiler. you have to store the wood well though, so you will need to build such a store.
3. UFH is a good option, but the heating system needs to be looked at as a whole and not just individual elements.
4. only use accrediated products, remember that the ones with PU or PIR insulation perform a lot better than ones with aeroboard / styrofoam /polystyrene
5. give each manufacturer a target u value to meet with their wall and roof system. then compare how each specify how to meet thse target u vales.

Thanks for that, sounds good.

Should I ask the builders that i send out the tender to, to recommend a Heating system that is not oil and see what they come up with ?

Wood gasification burners - highly efficient as far as I know but you need to manually load every day or two.

Hi, just to let you know with regard to your house and its heating systems, we went timber frame also, got a heating engineer out to recommend a heating system suitable which was energy efficient for our dormer house, he said the Heat Recovery Ventiliated air tight Solar house (big breath!) but we need oil to back it up in the winter months to give it that extra boost but at least you don't have to cart wood in from the expensive special shed its stored in!