New House - Broadband

djsim

Hey Guys,

I recently moved into a new housing estate and the lack of broadband is killing me. I have a telephone point (socket) in the house but I presume that Eircom need to come out and connect me to their system before I get broadband\phone line installed.

The thing is that I do not really want broadband with them, I am looking to go with Smart Telecom. In fact, the only reason why I am getting a phone line in is to play online gaming. I would consider wireless but I live in Caherconlish (Co. Limerick) and the speeds are great.

So my question is –
1) Do Eircom charge to connect my house to the system and do I have to sign a contract with them

2)What speed should I be looking at to play online games (4MB and above)

Thanks for your help,
SIM

Regarding your connection, you will probably be able to get free connection from Eircom.

They have been round my door many times trying to talk me into activating my phone line (in house 7 yrs and still never activated it) and ALWAYS offer free connection. It is technically connected anyway and a number already allocated to it so in theory they can connect it at a click of a mouse somewhere.

What they did say was that the number that is allocated to me might be given to someone else and if this does happen then connection is no longer free as they have to get you a new number.

Personally I just think this is marketing and they will always offer free connection - they can't afford not to.

Back