new house 140 yards in from rd... options on laying passage

D

damolee

hiya, the site I have chosen is a long distance (approx 140 yards) in from the nearest access point... I am wondering what options people would suggest with reagrd to laying some sort of entrance/passage and what the likely costs could be?

Ideally would like to put down something temporary to start with, so that lorries etc can get in and out, and then once the place is finished, to put down something more permanent. Can appreciate that this might cost a fair bit of money because of the distance involved

Just get a load of loose stone to put down for temporary use.Say it to the builder and he might get you some on the cheap.For a permanent finish i'd recommend you look at I got thiis done in my drive way and it looks amazing.

You could also lay the foundation of the finished road (e.g. dig out about 1 ft and fill with hard-core). This will do for the construction traffic. You want to make sure there is a turning area at the house aswell. When the heavy traffic is finished, you can level with a roller and more hard-code, cover with rock dust and roll and then cover the top with gravel (803 or 804 it's called in the trade - I don't remember which one is the small stuff!).

I think the first stage cost me about 8k, but it also included laying ducting along the side of the avenue and hard-core all around the site (we were building in the winter so didn't want the place to become a swamp!). It all seems like a dim and distant memory (two and a half years ago).

just looked at the stencil.ie site and it looks really good... any idea what the cost is????

Yoganmahew,

Sounds like a good job. Any tips on how to get the levels right for surface water drainage.

Well the gravel, rock dust and hardcore layers are reasonably permeable, so we haven't had any problems so far (except in one spot that has a high water table when there is a lot of rain). The gravel tends to pile up in the middle a bit, so I suppose that gives a bit of a fall to the edges.

Or are you talking about planning conditions?

I was just wondering about water puddles forming on the drive and leading to pot holes!

Ah yes, we've had a few of them - with the high water table bit - had to fill them in with rock dust and wallop them flat. I expect it to be a lifetimes work! The biggest problem with potholes is people (especially delivery men) driving too fast up the lane!

it would be a good idea to get the hardcore level near enough to exact now so when you come to laying yr drive the prep work would be cut in half at least bringin yr cost down

Last edited by a moderator: