New hot water cylinder?

aircobra19

What sort of cost is involved in fitting a new hot water cylinder. I've heard theres a new type (pressurised) and then old type. Whats the difference.

Im in the same boat just got a quote of several hundred plus labour. There is a tiny leak at screw but plumber says that its factory fitted and whole tank needs taken apart. I thought simple solder but you cant solder these tanks or use plumbers tape.

standard cylinder is 30" high and 18" wide, it costs about €150,immersion €40, fittings/pipe approx €30. labour €250 (it takes a few hours and some may charge for the day, others on percentage of day) plus 13.5%.

A pressurised cylinder is one that is under pressure by means of mains or storage tank via pump that pumps through cylinder (giving high pressure hot water at outlet), the cold water would be of equal pressure as they would both be fed from same source I.E mains or pump. This cylinders have to be made from stainless steel or similar to cope with stress. These cylinders are expensive, they last much longer, if fed off mains than no need for storage tank in attic.

An unpressurised cylinder is what most people have (copper). the cylinder is only under the pressure that is excerted by the height of the storage tank in relation to the cylinder (higher thwe storage tank= greater the pressure). However a pump can always be fitted after the copper cylinder to pressurise plumbing system I.E the pump pulls water from the cylinder as opposed to forcing water through it.

My mother had her old water tank/immersion replaced with a factory lagged one, some of the piping plumbing this into the water and OFCH systems replaced/redone, and the attic tank replaced with a new plastic one for €500 recently.

That seems a good price Clubman. I'm getting quotes of between 650, 800. Though I am getting some pipes moved around to create more space in the hotpress.

That seems a good price Clubman. I'm getting quotes of between 650, 800. Though I am getting some pipes moved around to create more space in the hotpress.
He originally quoted about €650 but when he (eventually - long time later and only after she chased HIM!) returned to get paid she haggled a bit and he knocked the price down. :)

Maybe I'm not asking the right question.

I mean, why in Ireland do you not need a storage tank for that type of pressurised cylinder.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question.

I mean, why in Ireland do you not need a storage tank for that type of pressurised cylinder.

Because the water pressure coming into the house from the public mains (easily checked at your cold tap in the kitchen) is too low to provide the pressure for the hot water cylinder.

Some folks (I'd say <10% of pop) live in a area with high pressure or if you have your own well you can use the well pump to deliver higher pressure.

Remember also that your storage tank provides some backup in the event of the water being cut off in your area for flushing toilets etc for a day or so.

Good diagrams here [broken link removed]

Because the water pressure coming into the house from the public mains (easily checked at your cold tap in the kitchen) is too low to provide the pressure for the hot water cylinder.
In which case they presumably WILL need a water tank!? :confused:

Reading between the lines...

Perhaps it should read, May not need a storage tank IF you have high pressure water supply. As some areas in Ireland have high pressure mains and some from a well pump. Most have a low pressure and need a tank.

I ask because it would seem like a good way of reclaiming some attic space. If you consider it going to cost 500-700 just to fit the same old cylinder vs 2500 ish to replace the lot with a new pressurised system. Does the rest of the system, bolier, toliets, rads need to be changed for a high pressure system?

Was I that unclear?

Another question: Assuming your mains pressure is low (as is most of Ireland). Is is kosher to use a Tank in the Attic and a Pump to supply high pressure water (22/28mm pipes) to a Combi Boiler (assuming small house, one bathroom etc). Thus doing away with hot water cylinder. From memory, instructions for Combi Boilers want mains only supply.

AirCobra. You still need a tank as to supply the pump, as AFAIK it is illegal to connect a pump to the mains supply.

...AirCobra. You still need a tank as to supply the pump, as AFAIK it is illegal to connect a pump to the mains supply.

If you always need a tank, the what was all that about not needing a tank. Or is it illegal in Ireland, and not elsewhere, or just that you only need a pump in Ireland.

To put is simply (there will be exceptions), you only need a pump (+ tank) in Ireland/UK, for high pressure water. In most other (European) countries the mains pressure (no tank) is much higher. This is why people have problems when they buy cheap (non rip-off) taps etc in France and Germany. They connect them up here and then complain they dont have enough water coming through them. Of course not, they are designed to reduce the pressure, so turning on the tap does not result in water bouncing off the bottom of the sink into your face.

It would only effect the taps/toliets, you can reduce the pressure to them easly enough. Unless you went for the 'Combi' option, I asked about. This is where your central heating boiler would also heat the hot water 'on demand', so no cylinder. These require a higher incoming water pressure than most Irish mains supply.

Reading between the lines...

Perhaps it should read, May not need a storage tank IF you have high pressure water supply. As some areas in Ireland have high pressure mains and some from a well pump. Most have a low pressure and need a tank.

I ask because it would seem like a good way of reclaiming some attic space. If you consider it going to cost 500-700 just to fit the same old cylinder vs 2500 ish to replace the lot with a new pressurised system. Does the rest of the system, bolier, toliets, rads need to be changed for a high pressure system?

Whe you think of your home plumbing, it is really two seperate systems I.E plumbing system(hot/cold water) and the heating system. These two systems don't mix but come into connect in the cylinder .I.E the heating water from boiler heats the plumbing hot water indirectly.

to answer your question, you don't need to pressurise heating system if you have a pressurised plumbing system, however if you want to remove all tanks from the attic making the heating system a sealed type will acheive this.

The tank that feds the heating system is the small one.

Back