New Home - New Locks?

Old Jim

I am about to take possession of my first house :D! It is 2nd hand and was previously rented so was wondering if it is necessary to replace the locks on the outside doors? I don't like the thoughts of an unknown number of people have keys to our house. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Absolutely. I would say it is pretty much one of the first things you should do - I was in a similar situation to you and arranged to meet the locksmith there straight after I finished getting the keys from the solicitor. I think it cost me about €80 last year. Small money really for security and peace of mind.

I was in the same situation, the house was previously rented. I never even thought of that, and so I obviously didn't change the locks.

I don't think I will, either, even though I've now been alerted to this.

If the door is a timber one and is fitted with a traditional "Yale" or "Union" type barrel and night latch you won't require the services of a locksmith to do this simple job.

Thanks for replies. Think it probably is a good idea.
As a follow-on, is it a job for a pro and can you buy replacement locks for a sliding patio door and one of those 5-point locking front doors, (sorry can't describe door type better!)

If I was you I would add one or maybe even two Chubb style 5 lever mortice deadlocks to the front door, window locks and additional bolt style locks (e.g. one for bottom left and one for top right on the moving part of the door) to any patio door(s). I wouldn't bother removing any existing locks (e.g. front door barrel style lock). In any case your insurance will most likely require you to have such physical security measures on all doors/windows - and to use them!

In addition if you are replacing the barrels of all the locks you can get the locksmiths to make them all work from the same key. Did this in my house last year as all the locks in front door ,back door and patio are all the same type

very handy and reduces the time spent looking for keys etc , Didn't cost much extra.

I'm in the same boat (ex rental house but needs modernisation) but we are holding off on changing the locks as we find we are frequently leaving keys out for tradesman and once most of that is done we will change the locks and be assured that we have sole access.

We are of course leaving ourselves a bit open at the moment and do look forward to peace off mind soon.

Cheers,
MAJJ

Back