New Home - Allowances

Westbound

Hi

We have just put down a deposit on a new home. I have never bought a new house before and have some queries on the allowances.

They are as follows:

Kitchen - €10K
Tiling - €2K
Fireplace - €2K

In the ordinary run of things do these allowances cover the materials only or does it also include the labour, or is the fitting done as part of the overall price?

Also, if we went over the allowances, for example the amount of tiling we intend to do would mean buying more than the allowance, and we know we'll have to pay for that. In people's experience, would this tiling be done by the builders tiler or would we have to pay extra? I am thinking the 2K would cover the 3 bathrooms/ensuites, but not the hall and kitchen floors.

In my previous experience the allowance for the kitchen was to include materials, fitting etc; the fireplace allowance included fitting.

In one of our new houses the builders gave the allowance toward the tiles only and we had to get our own tiler. Another house the builder organised the tiling at no extra cost.

It depends on the package your builder is offering. With these allowances you are also sometimes limited to where you can go.

hope this helps

Back