New head gasket, radiator and thermostat - now leaking oil

Arabella

A few weeks ago I siezed the engine of my car . Got the head gasket, radiator and thermostat replaced. The car is going fine, not heating up but it is dripping oil. As I got the work done in the south coast, I'm not too keen on driving back to that garage. Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing the leak?

It could be for one or more of several dozen reasons. Where is the "oil" dripping from - gear box, rear axle, suspension, top of the engine, bottom of the engine, oil pump, sump, CV joint, drive shaft, etc? You will need to get a mechanic to look at it.

Thanks mathepac. I think it is leaking from half way down the engine. Will take it to a local mechanic in the morning. As it is parked out on the street I have placed a wok underneath to stop the road surface being damaged.

Unscrew the oil filler cap on the engine and see if you can see anything resembling mayonaise around the cap. This is a very basic indication that the head gasket has failed or that when the head gasket was replaced the cylinder head might not have been skimmed as when the engine gets very hot the head might have warped so even though a new head gasket was fitted it might need a head skim too.

Thanks to everybody. Bought a gallon of oil and headed for the coast. Had to put more oil in after 80 miles. The garage owner was v apologetic. One of his boys did something wrong. Fessed up straight away. Problem was sorted out overnight. Now bone dry and running smoothly.
PS. Clonboy, I've got you in my headlights