New Golf GTI Options List

D

daithi h

Following on from that Golf GTI thread... can any of the owners recommend which of the optional extras are worthwhile ? I'm thinking of the following factory options, but need to drop some.

MKV Golf with DSG Box 38325.00
Leather MF steering wheel with gear change 391.00
Centre arm rest 278.00
sunroof 1313.00
Anti theft alarm 381.00
metallic paint 548.00
Leather Seats and pack ?? 2185.00

Total 43,421.00

Hi, I'm in the process of ordering one of these too. I did a fair bit of research before ordering. If you consult most car mags or websites, they tend to say to leave the options list alone as they don't add to the resale value, and add a huge amount to a car which is already acknowledged as over-priced.
Having said that, I've gone for a red 3 dr DSG with alarm, centre arm rest, cruise control and sun roof. Personally even if lthe leather seats was a free option, I'd leave them and keep the tartan fabric seats which echo the original Mark 1 GTI, plus I think they are very comfy.

Which colour you going for? Best of luck in your order

I'd avoid the options list almost completely tbh.

The DSG box is desirable but rather expensive. You won't get value from it at resale time either.

It has c.c. or a/c so a sunroof will only add weight and cost for no added function.

Alarm is worthwhile if it's thatcham 1 and helps with insurance costs.

Colour - metallic is usually worthwhile, but I reckon the GTI looks best in 3 door form and in white.

Leather/cruise control. Don't belong in this type of car imho. Maybe in an E Class Merc?

If you purchase the DSG option, you automatically get the gear change controls on the already leather steering wheel but NOT the MF controls. This is the case from roughly 2006 onwards (mine is an Apr 2006 reg date).

With DSG in auto I find the centre armrest very comfy and well worth getting.

As for the leather, well it's up to you, but you definitely won't get that money back when you trade in.

I believe that now you get A/C instead of a sunroof (which I have, but no A/C). See above for resale value, you won't see it back.

I find it hard to believe that VW ireland did not give climate control as standard in 2005 when it was standard in every other country

Did you think about the Focus ST as an alternative?

I did and purchased one.

I reckon it's better value, rarer, better equipped, slightly more powerful, and has a throaty 5 cylinder howl/growl. The downside is that it's more expensive to run (tax, insurance, and fuel)

Well thanks for your thoughts... The VW Ireland site is really crap, the specification for the golf GTI is out of date, (for example it still says the sunroof is standard, when I know from the dealer that sunroof is now an option and a/c has replaced it )the prices dont match to the dealers for the options list and there is very little explained about the options for example the multi function gear stick is offered with or without the gear change paddles ( its cheaper with the gear change paddles, whats that all about).

Re the options.. The leather seats option is v expensive and I know I won't get my money back on resale... The sun roof is probably not necessary with AC in the car... But, the way I'm looking at it, I'll be driving the car for the next 3 years, so I may as well make it as enjoyable an experience as possible and heated leather seats in winter sound like a nice option. Sunroof in Spring/Autumn is nice thought too. Realistically Ill probably drop one of those two, because the price is just too high with both on board.

Re colour.... Black I think... Maybe united grey... I'm just not convinced about white.

To MEZ.... Have you noticed any problems with the DSG box... Some people are saying it can allow the car to roll back slightly from a hill start. Others have written of a hesitation in throttle response ?

Regarding the Focus ST ... Yes I saw one out in the Airside dealership the other day, I do like the Volvo engine 2.5 T i believe. My only problem with it is that it seems more "in your face" and not as well finished (interior) as the Golf. But I suppose its in the eye of the beholder really.

Anyway, Im at haggle stage with the VW dealers and am getting a little more trade in value with each negotiation.... Hope to place order next wk...

No problems at all with the gearbox. As with all auto boxes you will get a slight roll back at first until the engine compansates, but unless it's a very steep hill it should hold after a sec or two. All it takes is using the brake pedal softly to allow the engine to take up the slack.

With regard to the hesistation. What you need to understand is that there are numerous sensors, cpu's and electronics involved in making this gearbox work as brilliantly as it does, but all of this can amount to a slight hesistation when changing down in order to accelarate. This is just the amount of time that it takes to get the message from your hands/foot to the ECU and onto to the syncro's and gears. It is certainly nothing to worry about and according to many a motoring journalist they rate it the best (semi) auto box in the world, beating the BMW SMG and the Porsche Tiptronic hands down.
In 'Sport' mode it's unbelievable and using the paddles to try and get each gear change right is great fun! Although the paddles move with the steering wheel which is slightly annoying, they really should be stationary.
It's up to you though if you think it's worth the extra money. Make sure to get a drive of one first though!

I agree on all the above re the confusing pricing and VW's totally hopeless website. The best site I've found for checking out the specs is carzone. But even that site has many inconsistancies on the spec.

Can anyone confirm here whether it is full Climate control that is now standard - or is it just manual (Climatic) aircon??

I'm also hoping to get one of these in Jan and this is what I'd go for:
- 3 door (not sure about DSG yet)
+Black metallic
+Armrest + iPod connection
+18" alloys (look fantastic)
+Climate control (if not already std)

I don't think the leather is worth the 2 grand plus cost.

VW are taking the mick here.

top of the range car and they are charging for an armrest.

Save 10 grand ad buy an octavia rs all the kit same engine.

Daylight robbery if you ask me.

What about chasing a 1 year old car that someone has gone nuts on the options list with?

Can you change gears manually in a GTI DSG without the steering wheel paddles, using the gear stick?

you can change gears in manual mode by not using the steering wheel paddles by pushing the gearstick up to change up and pushing it back to change down. By the way, DSG well worth the extra money - nothing like it; although it does take a couple of weeks to get used to getting the most out of it.

The DSG I'm getting does not have the paddles. Where would i find the manual mode? All I saw was P, R,N, D and S. Is there a switch?

when you are in D mode, push the lever over to the left (will travel a few cm's). THen you can push forwards and backwards in manual mode. Thats why there's a little + and - sign beside the D mark on the gear layout.

Excellent. Thanks for that. Look forward to reading the manual and trying it out!

One more thing, even in manual mode, when slowing down - for traffic lights etc, it will eventually automatically downshift if you dont manually do it so as not to stall the car. Its handy when you feel lazy! Also, if you redline on acceleration without upshifting (in manual too) it will eventually upshift so not to blow up the engine!

Pretty fool proof then. That'll be handy for me. Thanks for your tips. Can you tell us about your GTI amd yur experiences so far Ayashii?