New GAA Complex - effect on neighbourhood?

Ash

The local GAA club has sold their old ground (to a developer) and have plans to construct a new complex on a greenfield site which happens to be within 200 metres of my parents home.
The development consists of 3 storey building with events facilities, dressingrooms, club rooms, bar, etc; a "grandstand", five pitches with floodlighting and associated works.
My parents are a little concerned about the effect of such a facility so close will have on their residential area, including the increased road and pedestrian traffic, disruption during games, training or before and after social events at the bar. It's not Croke Park of course but it sounds like a major development within a quiet residential area.
Does anyone live near a similar facility? What impact, if any, is noticeable on a day to day basis? Any comments or opinions on this would be welcome.

Access to the new development is the big issue here. Most suburban estate roads are not designed to cater for the levels of traffic that would be associated with a games pitch/clubhouse.

If it's the case that the facility will be merey adjacent to your parents' house without actually affecting (i.e. in terms of their road being used for parking or as an access route) then it should be okay.

Otherwise, they, and presumably their neighbours, would have reasonable cause for objection. I know for example that some years ago a proposal by St Patrick's GAA club in Palmerstown to build a clubhouse was rejected on the basis of the impact it would have on the residential strret which would be necessary for access.

Erection of floodlights another issue. Floodlights were erected in our local football club recently and holy god!!!! bless the poor B.......d who has to change the 5000 watt bulbs in them. They seem to go on forever.They are even an eyesore in the town itself as they can be seen from quite a distance. Good side might be that your parents could well save a small fortune in electricity costs!!!

i once lived near a GAA place like you mention.
Blaring music 1/2 hour before the match was regular along with floodlights keeping the area very bright. I moved shortly after. parking was an issue during the matches too.

i my opinion, a lot better to have this facility near you rather than, say, 2 or 3 hundred apartments... the land wont be left idle for ever.

Back