New front door

M

Marykate

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to buy a new hardwood front door. Nothing special, pretty standard design. It would be a standard four panel door with 2 panes of coloured glass in the top bits. It is surrounded by a frame which would have opaque glass in the side and top panels.
I have received quotes for €2,400 from a Dublin supplier, this does not include the fitting of it which would be about another €250. The frame in particular seems to be a major part of the cost.
I am horrified at the price and hope there are other less expensive options out there. Can anyone help? I live in Dublin.
Many thanks. Marykate

I work in the pricing dept of a joinery w/shop in the kilkenny area. We don't work in Dublin. By the sounds of your brief desription it sounds like the unit (frame) has a fanlight to it (glass panels to top) - It sounds about right if glazed as Toughened glass is required by law to everything glazed under 1500mm from the ground. Also make sure that the hardwood they quoted for is Iroko Teak. There are so many grades of hardwood out there. Also the €250 seems ok for the fitting - they might have to do some plastering after removing old frame. Very hard to price fitting as you don't really know what lies ahead untill you remove the existing frame and everybody wants the price first - with fitting some you win on and some you loose on (from a sales point of view). I will keep an eye on this tread to see how you get on.

Hi all
I have been busy doing some serious investigation on this. Have now visited several of door suppliers in the North Dublin area and also discussed with a number of joineries. Not all the door suppliers will supply a frame and glass, in fact most of them would only supply the door ,and some of them would fit it and some of them do not. This might be all very well for the builder /DIYer but for a normal homeowner working full time it is a bit of a hassle coordinating all the parties involved.

The one stop solution (door shop) seems to be the expensive route, but for that you get it all done through one source, all you have to do is pay up, select your glass design from the choice available at the door suppliers, and wait for the door etc to be measured.

However approaching a joinery- although more time-consuming - appears to provide ultimately a more customised' solution. For this you can get the door and frame made to your specification. However most of them will not supply the glass. So you will need your own glass supplier. However I have secured an excellent and very obliging glazier who will fit the glass as required, and has loads of design options. I will let you know how I get on and provide the addresses if it turns out well.
Marykate

Back