new floors and not what i expected

Sammie

Hi,
I have, after long time, got engineered flooring down in my living area. The sample piece I got was only one of a number of board colours; I didn't know it was going to be mixed. The board I got was a yellowy wood but when I look at the whole floor it looks medium-dark brown with some of these boards scattered and loads of weird looking knots in many of them. I'm not really happy with it.

I'm thinking maybe because it's a change that it looks weird or the colour on the walls doesn't go with it.

Did anyone else go through this??

I'm hoping my feeling changes because it cost me a lot of money and i have to sit there and look at it!!!!

Thanks

I paid for the floor in advance of the floor being put down.

The floor has now been put down and I then had to pay the fitter.

it's now glued down also...........

I think it may be that you may need to get used to it. Remember that wood is a natural product and all of these knots/flaws etc are just part of the character. I think different tones in the wood make it look more realistic.

I got fabulous oak flooring put down last year (v. expensive) and it blended in with my oak fireplace, which was already there. Then last week, I ordered a mango dark wood coffee table, as room was all "oaked out", so to speak. When I placed the coffee table in the room, the fireplace suddenly looked very yellow, which it did not look before the coffee table and tv unit came.. Then purchased a rug for under the coffee table and once that was placed, the colours blend in perfectly and the yellow tone gone! So it could just be down to the paint in your room.

It actually sounds lovely by the way.

Did you see a panel of this flooring made up in the shop or elsewhere before deciding on this product? Was there a grade mentioned? Wood flooring is often graded, the higher the grade (and with it price) the more uniform the colour, grain, etc.
Leo

Yeah there was a small panel made up, uniform in colour.

Maybe when I introduce a bit of colour it might appear less "wooden" the room, if you know what I mean. I have wooden blinds also and dark brown leather sofa. everything is brown....

but the floor is definitely not what I had envisaged!! hope it does work out

any ideas on interior design sites, colour suggestion sites etc.??

thanks for your comments.

Colours, I always think creams and deep reds go well with lots of wood.
Leo

We had the same problem last year. Picked a Lovely solid Maple floor.
As they were putting the floor down I realised it was really grainy, loads of knots etc..and the variant in the colour of the wood in parts was huge.
it certainly wasn't this beautiful golden plain sample we seen in the shop.

Im am aware to expect some degree of grain and knots as its a natural product. But this was almost like a rustic pine!.

At the time of fitting I mentioned this - I got the aul - ah now you have to expect this. People always expect whats in the sample?? but in reality the boards are going to be differnt. They also mentioned the 'grade' of the board was differnt on the sample. (they could have mentioned that)

Few weeks later I even phoned to get them to double check the order as I still was not happy. Basically got laughed at.

Anyhow - months later we had a huge problem with the boards moving and Moisture. The Flooring company put there hands up and said they probably neglected to do a moisture test - their fault and would replace all boards.

Decided to leave them to it..came back to find a completely different board down. The board we actually should have got - A Lovely plain maple board. Hardly any knots. Completely different and delighted with it.

They had put the wrong board down origianally!!!

Colours, I always think creams and deep reds go well with lots of wood.
Leo

Totally agree, have cream walls and deep wine curtains, chocolate brown suite, with cushions with dark red/brown/fawn colours in. I have a mixture of dark wood furniture (coffee table, tv unit) and the oak floor and fireplace and it looks great.

I thought it was very brown initially but once I settled on the red, accents it looked great.

Your room sounds very nice but the other point to bear in mind is that Sammie has wooden blinds which may darken the room further. Because of so much brown he/she will probably need plenty of light and bright colours to compensate.

Would also depend on what way room is facing too, I suppose. Am lucky in that I have south facing french doors to the back of room and a large window to front, so a very bright room.

The OP did not say what colour paint she had at the moment that might be putting her off the floor, but if the floor is dark in any way, cream walls will certainly lift it. Would also recommend a large overmantle mirror, which also reflects light.

Lime green accents are also nice too, or a duck egg blue with the browns and creams. Look up the next catalogue on line where they have kind of room settings and then see what they have put with a floor of your colour.

Sammie - if the floor is placed in a room with windows it will eventually start fading. You could then have it sanded and re polished. But as already mentioned it is a natural product but if the quality is inferior tell where you bought it. If its down to colour of timber save yourself the embarrassment.

I have a large brown corner sofa and the colours I decided on after much deliberation/colour charts and visualising it by what cushions I would throw on the sofa were really rich purples, gold and bright white. I think these are really nice colours together and go really well with brown and then a nice beige stone coloured wall to set it all off, haven't decided on the colour of the curtains yet but rug thinking gold/beige, probably do the curtains that colour too come to think of it. Perhaps nice purple/gold on white canvas art. Anyway, hope it works for me but taking the plunge anyway.

In the sale of goods there is a specific part of the legislation dealing with sale by sample - that the product must correspond to the sample. I'm not entirely sure if this case falls within that. If the floor is really not what you like, you might talk to a solicitor.

Maybe, but this is a natural product so therefore it woudnot be possible to have two pieces the same as with manufactured products which all come off the same pitter patter so to speak.

Maybe, but this is a natural product so therefore it woudnot be possible to have two pieces the same as with manufactured products which all come off the same pitter patter so to speak.
The provision originally came about due to case law dealing with the supply of grain etc. - it most certainly does apply to natural products. If the sample given is not indicative, then this is a breach of the contract.

Hi,

The walls are magnollia...and the skirting is white, doors also white.

room faces east and there is one side window that is south...large windows so a lot of light.

it's slowly growing on me. there is no problem with the wood and fit it is just the color of it. I'm sure it will grow on me once i get colours correct.

thanks all for you input

I actually went back on the web site and still the floor looks sooo different to what I got, there's only a small portion displayed but still different. I can see that there are a few pieces of wood in the floor that are identical to the sample piece and colour of it. It looks like a different floor completely. Anyway I’m sure there’s nothing I can do now as it's all glued down. I asked the fitter to text me a photo before he put it down but the text message didn’t send. I wasn’t there when it was been put down.

Hi All,

just to let you know i found a site called "therugclub.com", absolutely no affiliation, and i think i'll find something there to brighten up the room!

thanks