New Floor Tiles Cracked from wall to wall

Oilean Beag

As the above suggests, we recently got tiling done in our new house, a new build. We had a number of problems with the tiler with regard to the removal of the toilets, radiators etc but we thought we had it all sorted when he called out a plumber at his expense to secure them properly.

I arrived home last night to find a crack running across the floor of the ensuite from the toilet to shower ( about 2.5 foot long). It looks like there was a large amount of pressure or something which caused it to snap across, the crack is almost perfectly straight. There was nothing in the bathroom or the vicinity that could have fallen & caused the crack.

We are contacting the tiler about this, but Iwas wondering if anyone had an opinion or suggestion as to the cause or have they seen something like this before ? The tiles are down about a month & half.

Thanks

Is the bathroom upstairs and what type of floor is underneath the tiles? Our tiler screwed down ply under the tiles in upstairs bathroom to give extra strength and stop this cracking happening.

It maybe caused by a hot water pipe running to the sink or towel rail or rad. The adhesive may have dried too fast there for causing ur crack.

Yop could be right. I am currently getting my place tiled. The tiler wants the heating off, and remain off for at least four days after.

Thanks for the replies

The floor is ply type.... not floorboards as such. The tiling was done & we didn't move in for a couple of weeks, so no heating on. I can see how this might have caused it though, as there is a radiator, washand basin & power shower in the bathroom so a lot of very hot water going through the pipes.

I wonder would a tiler be accountable for this ? I still have my suspicions that the rough/ tight screwing of the toilet to the floor might have had something to do with it.

Even if the floor is ply the tiler should have screwed thin sheets of ply on top of the ply floor with the joins in the new ply running perpendicular to the existing floor's joins. This is to prevent any movement at the joins from cracking the tiles. I'm not sure if this is what happened in your case but may be worth knowing.