New Extension - Possible Structural Problem - Long Hairline Cracks

EuroGirl

I had a small, ground floor, rear extension built three years ago. There is a prominent vertical hairline crack now visible down the midpoint of the remainder of what used to be the back wall of the house, and also a longer hairline crack along the ceiling of the new extension, also roughly at the midpoint. I am worried that there might be a problem with the RSJ (or worst case scenario, that no RSJ was fitted, although it was paid for). There are also a few tiny hairline cracks around the corner of the walls/ceilings in the upstairs rooms above where the back wall of the house used to be.

The house is terraced, and my neighbour recently pointed out a crack along a section of the extension side wall. I am not sure whether this could be a separate or related problem.

I would really appreciate any advice as to how to go about tackling this. I'd like to get an independent inspection / opinion, but don't know where to start (should I go to an architect, surveyor, alternative builder etc.)? Does anybody know what would be involved in determining what (if anything) could be wrong - and how much this could cost?

I just checked the builder's registered Company Number on the CRO website, and it looks like the company was dissolved this year.

I would really appreciate any advice as I feel totally out of my depth with this.

You should get an engineer to inspect your property and issue a report. The builder hopefully had insurance and if there is an issue this would help but start with an engineer inspection

As kkelliher said, you need a good structural engineer to inspect the property, explain to you what is causing the cracks, and prepare a structural report.

You are also going to be contacting your solicitor, and you should gather information on the following prior to meeting with him/her:

- a copy of any building contract that you signed with the contractor
- a copy of any appointment documents which you signed with the engineer/architect who was involved with the construction works.
- any opinions/certs of compliance which you recieved on completion of the works from either the engineer/architect or the contractor.
- a list of all relevant dates (commencement, completion of consntruction ,etc)
- a copy of the report from the structural engineer who you will appoint.

www.studioplustwo.com

kkelliher, threebedsemi, thank you both for your feedback on how to tackle this problem and where to start.

I will google for a local Structural Engineer and get the ball rolling. Thanks again.

Back