New Extension 2 floors for E175,000 ?

landlord

Just wandering, if it is possible to extend a property in Dublin by 40 sq m ground floor and 40 sq m top floor with a budget of E 175,000. The bottom floor will be a new lounge and new kitchen (the budget must account for a new kitchen). This new kitchen will be moved 5 metres away from the old one...if that makes any difference? The top floor will be a new bedroom/ensuite and a serparate bathroom.
E175,000 is my absolute max and must include arcitects fees, Fingals development levy, all fixtures and fittings etc......
thanks.......

you should be more than covered by 175k that said it all depends on what standards you have in mind.

Jaid

From that 175,000 if I take out 30,000 for a kitchen, 10,000 for arcitect and fingal development levy, 5,000 to rent an apartment for 3 months, that only leaves 130,000 for the extension its self....and I am probably forgetting to consider other things too, which will bring this 130,000 down even further????

30k for a kitchen holy moly does it cook stuff by itself or is Jamie Oliver included in the price

10k for a couple of Drawings....I know arcitects do well....but surely not that well?

There are previous threads that can provide more info - but here is a co mentioned before ,

Paddy

Unless you're doing a very high end or extremely large kitchen, €30k is way over the odds. Even if you need to get all appliances, a €20k provision should be enough for a very good standard of finish (up to and including granite / corian / marble worktops if you're so inclined).

As far as I'm aware, there's no development levy for extending, as opposed to building a separate house, but it's no harm to allow €10k to allow for detailed spec (beyond planning drawings) / various professional consultancy fees.

I can't really comment on the reasonableness of it, though with a similar size project we have a little more budgetted (in a "hoping to have change" way"!).

30k for a kitchen holy moly does it cook stuff by itself or is Jamie Oliver included in the price

There are places around where 30k isn't even the starting point. If you have a mind to, you can easily spend twice this in some places.....

Fingal County council require as a development levy 150 Euro per square metre for every sq m over 40 sqare metres. So for an 80 sq m extension thats 6,000 Euros. Plus maybe 4,000 arcitects fees takes it up to 10k.

Fingal County council require as a development levy 150 Euro per square metre for every sq m over 40 sqare metres. So for an 80 sq m extension thats 6,000 Euros. Plus maybe 4,000 arcitects fees takes it up to 10k.
Are you absolutely certain that applies to extensions, though? Because we're in DCC area and just got PP for ~70sq.m., and no development levy. Apparently. Or maybe we're in for a nasty surprise which will start eating some of that contingency !!

Are you absolutely certain that applies to extensions, though? Because we're in DCC area and just got PP for ~70sq.m., and no development levy. Apparently. Or maybe we're in for a nasty surprise which will start eating some of that contingency !!

Unfortunately I am 100 % certain. I popped in to the planning office the other day to confirm this. I am not sure why they charge so much. From what I have heard this levy doesnt apply to Dublin city centre....

It doesn't apply for Dublin City Council, though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they start imposing what's just another tax.....

That's very weird. Not that I'm complaining since I appear to benefit, but it's bizarre to have that kind of inconsistency.

And sorry for hijacking the thread, landlord!

I speak from experience - it is very easy to spend 30k plus on a kitchen - particularly to get that wow factor.

We spent around that amount on a kitchen and are very happy with it - the kitchen is superb quality, has stood up brilliantly to continuous assault by two children and their friends and still gets the "ooohhh nice kitchen!.....wow you have one of those? cool!" comments from people.

And before the snide comments start yes that kind of thing does float my boat, and yes I'm "into" it, and yes it does make me happy etc etc

Having done something similar, I'd say your budget is more or less spot on. However, if the kitchen is your dream thing, about this project and the €175k is your total absolute max and there is nowhere else, you can find funds from, I'd recommend you don't go purchasing any fittings and fixtures just yet.

The reason I say this, is because A) in an ideal world your 3 months should be more than enough, however not in the land of builders. Having lived through it and being on their backs morning and night, something this size could easily turn into 7 months, so you'll have to peg another 4 months + rent onto that 3 unfortunately. B) You just do not know what's going to go wrong or what they are going to break in the process of building. If the digger cuts the ESB lines, you get a call out charge of €1,000.00 from the ESB. If the plumber drops the boiler while moving it, that's another €1,000.00 +. I could go on, but with anything that goes wrong, it never seems to cost less than €1k for some reason. C) You've probably thought of this but your garden is going to be in such a mess, it will need to be re-landscaped. Can't have a nice big new house without the garden looking nice!!! D) Although you will agree a set price with the builder, somethings might give so much trouble that they need changing. You & your builder will probably both agree, when this happens (or may not) to save time, to change it, therefore that will cost more money, e.g. paths.

Good luck with it all.

Okay what is "one of those"

In my case it is a three quarter height integrated wine cooler with seperate temperature zones for red and white wine - holds about 60 bottles - finished in brushed aluminium to match my other kitchen appliances and the handles on the kitchen units. Comes complete with poncey bottle of 1er Cru Margaux 1986 with authentic dust included, mixed in with the bottles of Blue Nun and Black Tower

Maybe my friends are complete nerds to think that this is cool but they do

OOOOH! Can I just have the contents please?!?!?! Hic!