New ESB connection; electrical input for heating source?

apple1

Folks,
Applying for a new ESB connection and currently completing the paperwork. On it, I'm asked for the kW for the oil or pellet boiler (electrical input only). As I'm only starting out on the build, I've no boiler sourced. How do I estimate what the electrical input is? Thanks in advance, apple1

Are you sure that's the domestic form you have. A domestic oil or pellet burner would only use between 300 and 400 watt (0.3 to 0.4 kW) to run the fan/oil pump. That's the only current draw in them apart from the electrics for the controls.

Maybe they are trying to identify people who might be putting in geo thermal/heat pumps which would have a bigger draw. I suspect even if you put down 900kW on that form you will get the normal supply that everybody gets.

Thanks Davidoco. Yep, its the domestic form I have, all fresh & crisp...just printed down this morning. They ask specific questions about a Heat Pump, then a section for "Other Heating".

Just to be on the safe side and not delay your application either leave that box empty or put down 0.5 kW.

The new ESB forms have changed & they are looking for soft starts to be put on the geothermal compressors to lighten the impact on starting on their network

Back