New England Trip

Head-wrecked

Hi

I am driving from Buffalo NY to Maine this July and Plan to travel through Vermont and New Hampshire to get to Maine. The basic plan is Buffalo to Saratoga Springs, from there up through Vermont, into New Hampshire and then into Maine (probably staying in Ogunquit or that area for a week)
We will have 3 days to do this, is this feasible?
We fancied a trip on the Mount Washington Cog Railway, is it worth the trip?
Does anyone have any other suggestion on places to stay or visit along the way?

I was in that area in October. Dreadful long journeys between points of interest. Concord was nice, Bethel was nice, Woodstock was nice. The Mount Washington Cog Railway moves very slowly so leave plenty of time for this trip. Very disapointed with Salem. A town full of Halloween shops.

Thanks. I hope we're not taking on too much. probably now have 4 days to get from Buffalo to Maine. What I really need to know is if there are any definate must sees along the way.

Saratoga Springs is a nice spot - stay at the Marriott Courtyard (almost newly opened), Eat at The Bryan Inn near the hotel and drink in Professor Moriarty's - There is a fun Childrens museum in the town. Worth a nights stay.

You could take the ferry across Lake Champlain and Stay in Burlington VT - nice university town, or the quaint ski town(but were told it's real nice in the summer too) of Stowe, VT. Jackson NH is sprawling but good for shopping (NH is a Tax Free State - they have State Liquor stores instead to raise funds ! - Visit one of these and you'll cry at how expensive it is for the likes of Vodka in this country !!)

Enjoy !

Dreadful long journeys between points of interest

Slurryslump - it is nice country to take a drive though and particularly in fall time in October ;)

If you're in the Stowe area - take a side trip to Waterbury and Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory!

Marion

Slurryslump - it is nice country to take a drive though and particularly in fall time in October ;)

Only if you time it right. I was there in early October and the trees were spectacular however the trees in northern Vermont and Maine were already losing their leaves. I would say by mid October these trees were bare. We came upon lots of places where this had already happened. I thought that the area as a whole looked a little tired and backward and standards in restaurants/hotels and shops were certainly below the European standards that I have become used to. It didn't look as if money was being spent.

Only if you time it right

particularly in fall time
;)

Head-wrecked is going in July so this ain't an issue for him.

New England is an expensive area of the United States, it does not compare with some European destinations for value/good standard of hotel accomodation, but the fall is certainly spectacular.

Thanks for the advice, Saratoga, and Stowe are on the itinerary and it sounds like getting to Maine will be worth the drive.
Do you know anything about Maine itself? We had thought of staying in Old Orchard Beach but have heard it can be rowdy. Bar Harbour is a bit too far north because we want to be near sandy beaches.
Has anyone any advice on any other beach places: Kennebunkport, Permaquid Beach or anywhere else.
I'm open to suggestions.

Back