New Driving License and Hired CAr

collieb

Hi,

My driving license has just expired and I am in the process of getting a new one as I am going on holidays to Greece next week and wish to hire a car. However, I notice that all rental companies require a license to be helf for at least one, sometimes 2 - 3 years. My problem is that i think my new license will say it was issued this week, even though I have held it for 10 years! Will this be a problem - has anyone had a similar experience when hiring a car?

I don't think you'll have a problem, but ring the company and check. What they want to know is that you've held a full licence for more than a year or whatever, i.e. that you're not a newly-qualified driver. They take this on trust, as far as I can see — but I suppose that if an insurance claim arose they'd seek evidence.

Try the search function for car hire recommendations, but here's one to start you off — www.argusrentals.com.

Not an issue - your new 10 year licence will show that it you have held a licence from 1996 (or whenever) - basically the "valid from" date is the same as the existing licence and the valid to date will be 2016 - only the issue date reflects this year... so no problem at all.

Back