New Downstairs Bathroom

WGT

Hi,
We are planning to install a downstairs bathroom under the staircase.
Could anyone tell me how much we should expect to pay?
Also should we hire a builder or a plumber or would either do the job?
We are in the Leixlip area so if anyone could recommend someone that would be great.

Thanks,

WGT

You would need three tradesmen a plumber a carpenter and an electrician there should be no need to hire a builder as he will probably subcontract the other tradesmen and charge you for the priviledge. Or maybe even attempt all the work himself to save on costs even though he may not be a fully qualified plumber, carpenter or electrician and still charge you full whack.
My advice is hire a recommended plumber to plumb in toilet and sink if you already have the connections installed for a downstairs toilet then the quote should be a lot lower as there is much less work involved.
Hire a carpenter to make a partition under your stairs to include a door to gain access to under stairs toilet.
The carpenter should be able to match the timber work to your existing stairs and it will look very well when completed.
All the electrician will need to do is install a light and this shouldn't cost much as it's a small job.
You can then decide whether you want your new toilet tiled, painted ect...
I'm having a downstairs toilet installed myself soon plumber has quoted me 300 for labour Carperter has quoted 400 to install a partition and door, partition will be covered in pine slatting to match existing stairs with a pine door, architrave and skirting.
Electrician has quoted 50 euro I purchased a corner sink and toilet for 300 myself in Ger Malones sale.
So total cost looks to be E1,050 not bad for a bit of self management I will decide later on if I will paint or tile the inside I'm thinking half pine slatting with dado rail on bottom half and top half painted not sure yet.

Good Luck

An entire bathroom under the stairs? Hopefully you have a large staircase - or are you planning on incorporating part of the downstairs hallway too? The bigger the job the more sense to involve a builder, as there may be work for plasterer and electrician as well as carpenter and plumber and tiler. Coordinating four or five trades can be difficult.

Good luck with it.

Hi Extopia,
It's a downstairs WC as opposed to a bathroom. It would be a bit ambitious alright to have a full bathroom under the stairs but I suppose necessity is the mother of invention.

WGT