New Dell has different DVD Drive

pennypincher

My new dell has a new DVD drive connection that looks a bit like a sata connection.When I installed some of my old software from my other PC it didn't see the drive and said I had no IDE/SCSI drives attached.Anyone know how I get the software...it's disk copying software..to see the sata DVD?does it mean I have to upgrade software now as well?

What disk copying software are you talking about? I know that some disk copying utilities don't recognise SATA drives at all or without an upgrade. What do you want to do in terms of disk copying because there are probably free utilities available to do what you want?

It's a piece of software called disk juggler...for Karoke disks,just doesn't see sata dvd drive...I wish Dell had of identified this to me when buying it...

I'm sure that Dell would have described the machine as containing SATA rather than IDE drives. They can't really be expected to list out every application that is or is not compatible with SATA drives. [broken link removed] suggests that DiscJuggler is compatible with SATA.

I fully agree clubman and I wouldn't have expected them to but I'm looking at the invoice and all it says is DVD+/- RW(read/write)16x....no mention of Sata,thanks for the link I'll see if I can just patch the old software as I don't want to have to shell out for a new one..

Surely when ordering online the detailed system description made it clear that it used SATA?

Yes I'm as incredulous as you...but the only reference to the DVD burner just told you that there was one in it...no mention of SATA...checked both the email and paper docket I got with the machine...I'm amazed that the machine isn't backward compatable...no IDE power connections etc...hence their 50 Euro trnasfer my PC package...!

I see. Just checked their online configurator and it certainly seems like they don't make it explicit that the motherboard is SATA only (assuming that is the case) or that the optical drives are SATA.