New Delivery Box from An Post

Gaothfar

I'm considering one of these new postboxes and wonder if anyone has availed of the offer. They cost €70 (once off) and will take small parcels and notify the householder by email or text as post arrives. It sounds like a good idea but my native suspicion is aroused by the the contact number which is an 01 landline that promises to return your call but doesn't. There is no email or freephone number.

I looked at the photos of these and they seem very small. I'd be wondering if a parcel fits in to them, is there a fair chance it will fit in my letterbox anyway

How difficult will these be to pry open if some knacker fancies his chances?

I can't understand why An Post don't provide a service to deliver items to your local post office and notify you to pickup within 1 week. The likes of Parcel Motel are operating in the 21st century and An Post are in the 19th.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie

New parcel motel type service from An Post.

With the amount of online shopping that people do, it's a good idea. The postman can open the box with a master key and drop the parcel in.

I just get stuff delivered to work mind, much easier.

I looked at the photos of these and they seem very small. I'd be wondering if a parcel fits in to them, is there a fair chance it will fit in my letterbox anyway

Hard to tell dimensions from a photo...full spec here. It'll take a lot bigger than your letterbox will, plus, they can leave stuff that requires proof of delivery which they're not supposed to put through the letterbox.

One thing to be wary of is that items that are sent by registered post and therefore require a signature will not be left in the box.

In the Terms & conditions it states. "Mail items sent by Registered Post to the Eligible Postal Address will not be delivered to the DeliveryBox™ and are excluded from the DeliveryBox™ Service."

I've tried ringing that number again and still they promise to call me back, but don't. I wonder if the system has been out-sourced. I just want to ask them how the box is affixed and how it is powered (it needs a power source in order to send me an email when I receive post).

The internal dimensions are H370mm x W250mm x 165mm which is adequate for my parcels (books and the like).

I just want to ask them how the box is affixed and how it is powered (it needs a power source in order to send me an email when I receive post).

I don't think that the box itself is powered. When the postman delivers a parcel to it he will scan the bar code on the box and that will cause a E-Mail to be sent to you by AnPost.

Have one of these.... it will take a parcel of shoe-box size ( ok, before I'm asked. Size 9:D)...The postbox isn't powered, the postman scans it when he delivers an item.... then, supposedly , you get a text/e-mail to say you have post... I have had the box for 6 months but have never received a text or email !! Have to open the box to see if mail is present as no flap to lift up.

I have one too, get an email when I get a delivery.. I had a chat with the postie, and he signs for any parcels that need a signature and puts it in the box for me so I never have to do go the sorting office. This is what I wanted the box for, so even though officially he shouldn't be doing this, I'm delighted he is.

This is what I wanted the box for, so even though officially he shouldn't be doing this, I'm delighted he is.

They are allowed do that for regular proof of delivery mail. It's only registered mail where they can't so so as the recipient must sign to acknowledge receipt of that. Don't want the posties getting dragged into cases where people claim not to have received summonses, etc.

Just received a reply from An Post's customer service dept in answer to my query of Wednesday last. It gives me another email address and phone numbers to ring.

I had less trouble buying the house.

They aren’t that big, large shoe box fits ok, so for occasional delivery they’re fine. About half the parcels I order don’t fit in it so have to go to post office anyway to collect.

I’ve put a larger plastic container at my house so DPD, DHL, UPS can leave parcels there - no secure but better than driving 30 miles to their depots to collect.

I got one recently and find it great as I get the email when i have post and you can also post a letter by leaving it in it (with a stamp on it) to be collected by the postman. I often go around in the car for a week with a letter I mean to post before i get around to it so its handy for me.

Back