New car stolen - Expected settlement figure?

H

holly30

Hi All,
In your experience what kind of offer can I expect from my insurance company, details below:

House burgled, keys stolen from house, car stolen, gardai signed insurance form all above board.
Car is 7 months old
Skoda Ocatavia VRS 170bhp TOP SPEC
Purchase price 30,000
mileage 18k

If the car is not found by 9 am tomorrow morning, the 14 day period is up and they will pay out.

I've heard some awful stories about how they will only offer less than half the value. is this true? Can I dispute? what basis can i dispute? Will letters from Skoda garages help?

As far as I know they use the current book value, they always quote this "book" but have never seen one ! Apaprently this "book" is updated on a periodic basis for current market values. Sorry I cant be of more assistance. Actually a work colleague had a similar thing happen to him about 4/5 weeks ago . A 2006 BMW 1 series and they paid up €17K, he was happy as this was about the market value.

Secman

The insurance are obliged to pay the replacement value as far as I know.
This is nowhere near what you paid for it new because some cars will lose 40% of their original value in 18 months.
On this page, dealing with a difference jurisdiction they give the retained value of a Skoda after 3 yrs /36,000 miles as 35%.
http://www.cartuningcentral.com/Skoda-Roomster-5dr-mpv-14-16v-3-Technical-Specifications

I see yours is the VRS diesel.

www.carzone.ie shows the asking price of a
2008 model with just over 10.8K on the clock as being €22,750
2007 model with just over 43.8K on the clock as being €18,450

These are dealer asked-for prices.
Provate sales will ask for less initially.
Both can be beaten down on price in any market.
Its likely that in the current market, proces may collapse.

Depending on what position the insurance company takes, this could work out well for you.
Money talks, they say, and cash talks loudest.

God luck with dealing with the insurance people.

FWIW

ONQ.

Depending on which insurer you are with you may find that you will get a new replacement car without any deductions

Check your policy as a number of insurers will cover you for a new car replacement as long as the vehicle is less then 12 months old

... Check your policy as a number of insurers will cover you for a new car replacement as long as the vehicle is less then 12 months old
Mine has this but the wording is crucial, as there are (naturally) T&C's - check yours.

Back