New Car service where to get service done?

blinkbelle

Hi,

Have a new car and its nearly due it's first check up service. My previous car was used and I just had it serviced at my local garage and never had a problem.

Now Im wondering should I bring the new car to main dealer for servicing? I would hope to sell the car in three years so want to keep the book up to date and stamped etc. Also my brother said to keep the waranty valid it should be serviced at a main dealer..anyone know if this is true?

And one last thing, I shopped around for the car and got quite a good bit of in the difference of some other places. €2,500 to be acurate. The dealer I bought of is about an hours drive away. There is another dealer half an hour away..Im just wondering which I should get the car serviced at?

Where I bought it or the nearer dealer? Or would they not entertain me as I did not buy the car there?

Thanks for any info
Blinkbelle.

Get it serviced in an authorized dealership otherwise the warranty is void. So, if you bought a VW for example you need to go to any authorized VW dealership. (I'm assuming that your warranty has at least another year left in it).

A new car bought from a Ford dealer in Cork can be serviced by any other Ford dealer in the country, it doesn't matter where you bought the car, as long as the car is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and schedules. Likewise with warranty repairs. AFAIK you can actually have your car serviced by ANY dealer (not necessarily the main delaer for the actual marque) and the car must be considered under warranty, as long as the service is carried out in accordance with the said specifications and schedules. I think there is some EU directive on this, to prevent what was in effect a closed market (monopoly) situation. Although for my money I think you'd be better off with a main dealer anyway, at least while the car is under warranty, after that ends it doesn't really matter, does it? With engine management systems etc you nearly have to go to a main dealer anyway for everything these days...

Anybody able to point me in the direction of this directive. Stat!!!

Having major trouble with a main dealer in Cork for a vehicle that's was bought new. Shelled out over a grand last month. Now something else has gone wrong and they are saying it could cost another 2k.

And one last thing, I shopped around for the car and got quite a good bit of in the difference of some other places. €2,500 to be acurate. The dealer I bought of is about an hours drive away.

What sort of a car is it? A €2500 difference in service seems incredible, which means some garage is charging over €2500 for the service?

Get it serviced in an authorized dealership otherwise the warranty is void. So, if you bought a VW for example you need to go to any authorized VW dealership. (I'm assuming that your warranty has at least another year left in it).

Not true. Your local mechanic can service your vehicle stamp the book and it will not void the warranty, unless anything other than genuine manufacturer parts are used.