new car. money off?

SARAHPMAN

Hi all

I am looking into buying a new car(2007) in the next month.
My question is: is the price in the brochure a fixed price or is there room to haggle them down and if so how much should i be asking to go down.
car cost approx 23K

regards

Sarah

Ask the dealer Sarah!

Start by saying how much for cash?

Then tell them you can get a better deal else where. Refuse to name other dealer, or disclose the price.

Tell them you'll buy now if the price is right.

Then comes the difficult bit. You must judge when you think you've beaten them down enough. It depends on the make and car but you should get 5%+ off. Perhaps more for certain less popular brands.

When you've reached the rock bottom price, ask about what they can include to sweeten the deal. Mats, mud flaps, stereo upgrade - whatever is available.

One last tip. Buying now or Feb. is when dealers are busiest. 25% of their new car sales will be Jan, with 50% of their new car business will be done before the end of March. This is critical. Ideally buy in mid March as they will have their eyes on volume rebates and discounts, and will be quieter. Do not go in to do a deal at the weekend either. Go in early morning during the week.

I hope this helps.

Depends if your trading a car in or not. If your not ask them whats the best straight deal they will do. If your trading in they will usually hold fairly close to it. Best advice is to shop around and let each of the dealers know what your getting and see if they can beat it. Of course it depends if you have time. But it not worth driving 60 or 70 miles for €200 just in case you need to go back to your garage or get work carried out, It would turn out to be costing you time and money then.

Don't go to the garage where you plan to buy first go to another dealer to get a good idea of the price. Brochure price is higher to allow for trade in so as you think that you are getting a good deal on your motor.

It pays to shop around, I saved over €4000 on a straight deal by shopping around and yes, I did end up buying with my local main dealer whom I approached last.

Best of Luck

Was car looking around on Saturday at a new car. Am thinking about the car and just popped in for a look and to see what the price range would be. I didn't try any haggling just said I liked the car but had to consider it for a while before purchasing. He gave me 5.5% off without any haggling? Is this normal? I thought from previous posts I'd need a bit of work to get it down to that level.

Ant reason why he'd go that low without being pushed. Is it possible I'd get another 5% out of him if as has been suggested I go back on a Wednesday morning in a few weeks time?

From previous posts around 8% seems to be the norm, so leave it a few weeks and pay a little visit again.

If you know what model etc you could ring around a few places to see what they are asking like for like.

There is no "normal". You'll get very little cash discount on perhps Mercs or BMW's.

You'll get loads on a FIAT.

You might not get much off in the terms of the price. My best advice would be to ask for extras for free. Most will do it and this is allowed for in their mark up. Ask for full colour coding if the car has trims etc. Also ask for mats/seat covers, nice number plates. Most garages stock their own for the particular make of car. Ask for the first service free (not the warranty check, which is free anyway) and ask for a full tank of petrol. If they refuse any of these then tell them the garage down the road will give you these no probs. Any garage worth their salt will give you these small items. All in all you should get a couple of hundred yo yo worth out of them

we pruchased car with list price of 25k. Lot 'country garage' price close to home and it was 23,400.
Then got a price here in Dublin of 22,800.
so 2,200 off cash price in total.