new car - maybe

Attica

Looking at new cars between 1.2 and 1.4, Chevrolet Lacetti seems to offer more for the money. Is it a good car though? I could afford an Opel Astra using their 50/50 option. Or wait another year or so and get a Toyota Corolla. Which is the best option? Am driving a 97 Nissan Micra from new and find seat hard on my back, in spite of extra padding.

Forget the new car. If you want a corolla, buy a year old car and you miss out on the worst year of depreciation. They are very reliable so no concerns with buying second hand rather than new. In any case it will still be in warranty.

The Chevrolet is a Daewoo in disguise. It will depreciate heavily and is not at the races when compared with the class leaders - Corolla, Focus, Astra, Golf etc.

Alot depends on what you use the car for and how much you use it as well as how long you intend to hang on to it. The astra would seem to be a better bet in every respect. It will be comfortable and reliable and looks great. The Chevy is a cheaper option that will depreciate heavily. Not a big issue if you plan to keep it for 10 years but I'd rather be in the astra for that long. Its a better car all round. The corolla is probably the best of the lot but its soo boring!

I would try a few cars and see which ones you like the seats in. The standard Astra seats are ok, but lacking in lumbar support in my opinion, mind you I'm used to decent sports seats.

Thanks for responses. I don't see the Corolla as boring at all - after a Micra it looks gorgeous! Was afraid to trust to a secondhand, but the year old sounds feasible. I appreciate the info re Astra seating, Aircobra19.

I take it any main Toyota dealer (Dublin) would be reliable? I can't afford to be sold a dud. The car is used for an awkward journey to work and some long distance, hence the upgrade from 1.0L.

Someone in the family has a Astra 1.3 CDTI and another has a previous model 1.4 petrol Corolla. Personally I prefer the Astra it feels more solid, handles better, better MPG, and despite the lack of lumbar support I prefer the seats. But the Corolla is the more reliable car and nippier. I still say you'd have to drive a few cars before deciding. I'd probably go with a 1.6 diesel Focus, with as much kit as and the newest year I can get for the budget as the best compromise myself.

Looking at new cars between 1.2 and 1.4, Chevrolet Lacetti seems to offer more for the money. Is it a good car though? I could afford an Opel Astra using their 50/50 option. Or wait another year or so and get a Toyota Corolla. Which is the best option? Am driving a 97 Nissan Micra from new and find seat hard on my back, in spite of extra padding.

Another car in that class to consider is the Honda Civic 1.4 litre. Over the years it has always got great reviews in customer satisfaction surveys, jd power rankings etc

I drive a 02 1.4 Corolla and would definitely recommend it for reliability. Its not the most stylish car but my main priority would be reliability and resale value. I did a lot of research before I bought it and found that the main Toyota dealers were actually most expensive than non Toyota dealers.

Back