New car import from UK

proon

I know there have been previous questions and responses on this topic. But I am contemplating purchasing a new car in the UK. The question I have is if you are exporting the car from the UK are you exempt from UK VAT? Then when you import to Ireland you would have to pay Irish VAT and VRT.

The reason I ask this is that I heard of someone who exported a new car from Ireland to Sweden (the person was moving there) and did not have to pay Irish VAT or that scandalous VRT. The then just paid the Swedish VAT rate.

I'm open to correction but think that only exports between VAT registered companies are exempt from VAT, so if you are an individual you would not be exempt from UK VAT and would pay the VRT here.

I'm open to correction but think that only exports between VAT registered companies are exempt from VAT, so if you are an individual you would not be exempt from UK VAT and would pay the VRT here.

You are corrected then. A new car being re exported in not liable to either Irish VAT nor VRT.

Many individuals and others do just this as up to now Irish pre tax prices are amongst the cheapest in Europe.

He's Exporting from the UK to Ireland so he would definetly have to pay at least the VRT when bringing it to Ireland.

Back