New Car giving trouble

So I guess I just have to put up with it..All the repairs carried out so far have been satisfactory .The only problem is the amount of repairs this car needs...Its ridiculous

you could argue that a new car should not need to be back in the garage so many times and that if it was a TV you had bought you would have either got a brand new one or your money back.

and what make of car might this be ????

I will not metion the make in case the resale value plumets..But it is what most people consider a qaulity car !!!

ZEGAR said:
I will not metion the make in case the resale value plumets..But it is what most people consider a qaulity car !!!

well mercs are considered quality cars by some people bu the build quality has been shocking in recent years.

where as skodas were a laugh but are now considered one of the best running and valued machines on the road.

so perception is of no use here.

Create a stink with the garage - go to the importer and create a stink there.

A friend of mine was lumbered with a brand new pos once and he created such an uproar about it he was able to trade it in for a brand new one (went from 03 to 04) of em for a grand + the 03 pos. He immediately sold it so didn't suffer too much in the depreciation stakes. He bought a completely different car and never went near the other make again ... and for that matter none of our circle of friends will either.

He did the whole back and forth to the dealer thing. He involved SIMI. He needed to get an independent engineers report on the faults and then approached the importer and negotiated his way out.

ZEGAR said:

You mentioned it here before!!! I won't say which one, but I would also consider it a quality car as my brother has an older model, and has had not problems at all!!
Let us know if you get to any agreement with the dealer!!!
Best of luck

RonanC said:
you could argue that a new car should not need to be back in the garage so many times and that if it was a TV you had bought you would have either got a brand new one or your money back.

Under consumer law a shop is only obliged to repair or replace the item within 28 days of a fault occuring within the guarantee period. Theoretically you can bring a telly home and find that it will not switch on and the shop in question does not have to replace it for you. Granted this would be bad business practise but believe me it goes on. Cars would be treated the same - as long as the garage repairs any faults that materialise and they were unaware of such faults when it was sold you have no legal ground to fall back on.

So the garage fixed the sensors which stopped the black smoke billowing out of the exhaust and the engine losing power this lasted for about two days.
Brought it back to the garage and they said sensors were not replaced properly.So thye fixed it again and I got it back and after 7 days the same problem has returned !!!!

Where I go from here ??? Do I have a case

CmTaz:
That is incorrect:
Such a product is not of merchantable quality and the buyer can seek a refund under Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

The European Directive on Sale of Goods (can't think of name at moment) does allow for Repair, Replace, etc. and reverses the burden of proof etc. - so it gives slightly different rights and slightly different remedies.

There are a number of cases regarding "lemon cars" - certain inherent defects in new cars which are considered high quality mean that the car is not of merchantable quality.

I suspect you won't get anywhere - judging by the nature of the problems and the age of the car. Generally the defects have to affect the safety of the vehicle or the status of the car (if that status is particularly high).
For example, a gear box seizing up or a Ferrari which leaks oil etc.

Xavier's advice is probably best.

Go on Zegar tell us what kind of car it is.
Might save someone here a lot of hasle.

Keep going back don't let them fob you off.

Have you mentioned to the gargae that this is beyond a joke and they are wasting too much of your time?

I am not telling the make of the car..You might read all about in the papers yet !!!!!!

The warranty thing doesn't matter except in regard to a repair.

Actually one other thing - as you have kept the car so long, I think you've waived your right to a refund.