New business name registered to partner's property

S

Smee

Hi, I need some advice or info on registering a business name + working from home. Since I live with my partner, who has the mortgage in their name, I want to ensure that by registering the biz name that i wont be putting tax/insurance/legal burdens on my partner.

The business willbe web-based, so no customers/stock/deliveries etc, but ultimately i want to make sure that there are no implications, e.g. would they need to declare that a business is registered? would they need to declare that i'm contributing to the household?

Any advice or pointers appreciated!

If you use that address, any judgements, law-suits, insurance claims, prosecutions, product liability claims, Revenue sheriff collection orders may be registered against your partner's home. This may impinge upon his/her credit rating, ability to sell the property or raise a top-up mortgage.

Its not a good idea, even if your partner agrees. These and other wide-ranging and related issues have all been discussed here before.

BTW, you would not be working from home - you would be running a business at someone else's home.

Hi Mathepac,
Thanks for your response, Ive just come across similar posts, with similar replies from your good self - and I appreciate the legal insight.

Initially I'll be working (i mean, running the business...) from home, but with a view to moving into a small rented premises in town - so would it be alright to register it here for now and change address, notify CRO at a later stage?

On the other hand, as a web-based business, with revenue coming from online advertising would the likes of a virtual office suffice ( as mentioned elsewhere) in your opinion? Any suggestions would be appreciated.