New business, Kung Fu School, what do I pay Headmaster?

paperclip

Brief rundown on where I'm at.

I'm in China, have been training Kung Fu for the best part of a year. My Sifu(master) is treated pretty badly by the academy, underpaid, overworked.

He'd love to open his own school, and talks about it someday, but he's no money to do so.

I'm looking into opening a school, and having him run it, be the headmaster.

He's by far the best Sifu in the academy, and I would only consider opening a school with him. I'm in very early stages at the moment, working out risk reward, operating a business in China etc... I'm not here to ask for advice on that, if you have "actual" experience, then advice is welcomed.

I'd like advice on what and how to pay him... at the moment he's being paid around $200 a month, working 7 days a week, and 1 weeks holiday a year... even for China, that's pretty bad. I'm in a Smaller wing of the school, and he's running this place.

I'd obviously want to pay more... but I'm thinking some sort of % share of profits would be good, as it offers incentive to see the school grow and do well... this is one of the many reasons why I don't like working for the man.

Anyway, judging by the figues given, what would be a good package? $500 a month, and an annual percentage of the profits, something between 1 - 5%?

Any suggestions?

Back