New business idea

badabing

Hi
I've got a buisness plan that involves developing some hardware and software to go together and sell to industry. Any ideas if there is any grants or assistance available in Ireland?

Enterprise Ireland do feasibility study grants, but the paperwork is horrendous. You'll need to weigh up the form-filling and public-sector-liaising time with the money you'll (maybe) get.
You have to pay the money first, and then you might get 50% back.
You really have to be geared up for this approach (grant junky). Be cautious that you're not changing your business to comply with Enterprise Ireland.

(I'd steer well clear myself.)

Forgot to mention, you should be exporting and/or creating jobs for Enterprise Ireland to be interested.

Thanks Leghorn
Is this the only assistance available?
No. There are also county enterprise boards, for smaller projects, and other schemes depending on where you're located, for example www.gep.ie , which is good. Note that all public funding comes from the same Enterprise Ireland pot. Be very careful with such funding though because of paperwork and compliance hell.
As mercman suggests, there is also the private route (you're generally selling off chunks of your company), and of course friends, family and fools.
Check out the seedcorn competition and business angels.

Back