New Business, employment advice needed!

X

Xity

Hi there

I'm thinking of setting up a new business/service providing professional services and consultancy.

I want to test the waters for a while by trying to take on a few small local clients. I plan to start out on a sole trader basis (I'm already VAT registered, have an accountant etc).

The idea initially is that I’ll line up the clients and the work, and I hope to have someone working for me carrying out the actual services. My plan would be to invoice the client for work done, and the guy/gal working for me would invoice me in turn, so I imagine they will need to set themselves up as a sole trader or Ltd company?

My question is, what do I need to consider to cover myself?
i.e I presume I wouldn’t be obliged to provide any pension, PAYE, PRSI etc, entitlements for the person working for me?,

I presume I need to consider public liability and public indemnity insurance for myself and anyone providing services on my behalf?, we will be working on client sites. How would I research this, costs etc?
Would appreciate any help here, and other related items that I need to consider.

Thanks

You need to see if the person doing the work for you qualifies to be treated as self-employed in the first place according to this :-

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/rev_dsw.pdf

Some jobs do not lend themselves to self-employed treatment. If the job does not meet the requirements for self-employment then the person is an employee with all the relevant entitlements.