New Business Advice

E

Eadaoin

Hi there,

I'm hoping to register as a sole trader very soon, so that I can take on jobs as a photographer. I have a bunch of questions that I'd like to ask, but don't want to bombard these forums! Would any experienced sole trader be willing to answer a few questions either here, through email or in person if you live in Dublin. You don't have to be a photographer, just a sole trader.

I'd really appreciate a little advice, I've been reading up on all aspects of running a business and these forums are certainly very helpful, but I have one or two questions that I haven't found answers to yet and I'd like to get in touch with someone who has some experience.

Have a read of the key posts at the top of this forum first. If your questions aren't answered there, by all means post them here. The benefit of a forum like this is that you get multiple opinions, not just one opinion.

Have a read of the key posts at the top of this forum first. If your questions aren't answered there, by all means post them here. The benefit of a forum like this is that you get multiple opinions, not just one opinion.

And other posters learn from the answers.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post openly. Although, it's preferable to post your questions here as Purple points out others may be able to learn from the answers.

There was a woman photographer from Poland or somewhere else on a RTE program awhile back and she was using her front room as a studio where she got help from some agency for set-up costs. Im very sketchy on the details but someone else may know what it was as she may be able to help you, if nothing else it was an interesting program. good luck in your venture.

Thanks everyone,

I'm making my way through posts here, and putting together the things I still need to know. Most of it is small detail, I just want to try to get everything correct at the beginning and start on the right foot.

I'll keep reading and post any questions here soon.

Thanks Sandals, I'll do some Googling and see if I can find the program. Or if it jogs anyone's memory maybe they'll remember her name.

I should probably ask the professional photographers I know if they got funding from anywhere, can't hurt to ask around.

Dept of Social Protection have a booklet for people starting their own Business. You may find it useful:-

"Toil and Trouble"