new build + well - recommendations for water treatment

ennisjim

Hi,
I had a well bored last autumn and have no treatment yet. The folks who installed the pump said the water was likely to have iron and manganese from previous experience in the area (midlands, near bog). The taste of the water would confirm the presence of iron. The pump installers also gave a rough idea of what kind of treatment would be needed and a rough price.
I would like to get some other opinions and recommendations before making a decision. For example
  • should I get water sampled and tested independently of treatment system installer ?
  • if so, would anyone have recommendations for labs who do this ?
  • any ideas of costs for water testing ?
  • would anyone have recommendations for treatment system installers in midlands area ?
  • should I get water sampled and tested after treatment installation also ?
  • what kind of guarantees should I look for from treatment system installers ?
Thanks

• should I get water sampled and tested independently of treatment system installer ?
yes definitely.
  • if so, would anyone have recommendations for labs who do this ?
no sorry,
  • any ideas of costs for water testing ?
circa €100 from what ive heard
  • would anyone have recommendations for treatment system installers in midlands area ?
i think you could try this guy. He may not do one-offs but he certainly will help you out with info as to what you need.
[broken link removed]
  • should I get water sampled and tested after treatment installation also ?
yes, definitly
  • what kind of guarantees should I look for from treatment system installers ?
That they will be able to get your water cleaner than public council water.

I'd concor with the above, get the water tested. Contact the health board and their local office will take a sample for you. Think this costs €60 to €100. Once you get the results back you, it will be then clear what filtration systems you may need. E-coli/coliforms are the main nasties to look out for. Iron/maganese while not a health hazard, will cause staining of toilet bowls etc., and is more of a nusiance factor. A filter for same will probably cost you around €1000.

Back