New Build - Heating Systems?

T

Tartan_Man

Hi

We are about to start building work on a new 4 bed bungalow 2389 sq foot. We have read thru the various posts on UFH, Geothermal, Wood Pellet & Oil and am still undecided on how to proceed.

Internal walls will be insulated to as high as level as our budget allows. We will be having a stove in our large Family Room/Kitchen and 1 fire in our Living Room.

We are keen on UFH in the Living areas but going with radiators in the bedrooms & en-suites.

We are moving more towards Oil (with option to change at a later date) as the initial outlay on Wood Pellet/Geothermal and payback term just does not seem to add up on our research.

1) Is this system compatoble
2) Can we have back boilers off the fire/stove to make some use of this rather than just wasted heat in 1 room.
3) Insulation - What level should we try to budget for to ensure this is beneficial.

Thanks in advance for yer help. As with all the other first time builders any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Internal walls will be insulated to as high as level as our budget allows.

Of course you mean External walls. You must also build to a certain standard as set out in the building regulations.

Hi

We are keen on UFH in the Living areas but going with radiators in the bedrooms & en-suites.

If you have read the posts on UFH on boards.ie and here you would probably come to the conclusion that UFH requires a constant supply of heat to maintain the temperature in the living areas, and that rads give a quick response. Oil can supply the quick response but is not so hot on the drip feed for the UFH. If only 25% of your house is UFH you would be considering a buffer tank to stop cycling of the boiler and that can add up to €2,000 to your costs.

2) Can we have back boilers off the fire/stove to make some use of this rather than just wasted heat in 1 room.

see www.systemlink.ie and [broken link removed]

No problem, install a SystemLex and a SystemZone, hot water cylinder, oil burner/boiler, solid fuel stove with back boiler and open fire place with back boiler.

Note open fires are not compatible with modern thoughts on achieving air tightness in buildings and wasted energy up the chimney.

Hi Tartan-Man,

I'm not any expert but have done a bit of research but I gather that gas is far more effective response time to hear UFH than oil. The other thing I've learned from research is that if you are going from UFH it would be recommended to have a Heat Recovery Ventilation unit installed. The advantage of this being you don't have to open your windows to let in air which cools down the temperature in the room with UFH it can take a while to build back up the temp in the room once external cold air comes in so this is where your HRV comes in pumps fresh air around and also keeps the heat in the house. I hope this is of some benefit to you.

We have similar size bungalow. Went for all UFH with good controls (Heatmiser). Heating with oil mainly (indoor condensing in utility) with provision for change in future (additional unused pipes going outside).

Also back boiler on a multi-fuel stove. No need for System Link - just used a buffer tank with multiple coils. 500 litre buffer tank cost about €1300.

Also have solar (3 panels - 7 sq.m) which primarily heats 300 litre cylinder but diverts to heat buffer tank via thermostat. Solar is actually switching over to heat buffer tank over last few weeks on sunny days. Even if it only preheats the heating water it saves on oil. Sorry I didn't go for extra panels as my heating designer advised.

My recommendation is to employ an expert to design the system which suits your pattern of use. Also ensure you install motorised valves and this will allow control system to be modified as needed over time.

Back