New Build - Floor insulation Qs

Slates you would not have wall ties below FFL as your dpm laps over your inside leaf goes down the cavity face of the inside leaf and then out to the external face of the outside leaf.Therefore your wall ties would have to protrude thru the dpm and that wouldnt be great.

Syd - your theory as always is spot on.In order to avoid mortar falling down the cavity the blocklayer would have to use cavity boards.I have never seen them used.The blocklayer on my own house was v. tidy but even then some mortar ends up slipping down the cavity.

If you can get the blocklayer to use cavity boards then by all means put the insulation below FFL.If not personally I would leave that small section of insulation out - just my opinion.

Slates you would not have wall ties below FFL as your dpm laps over your inside leaf goes down the cavity face of the inside leaf and then out to the external face of the outside leaf.Therefore your wall ties would have to protrude thru the dpm and that wouldnt be great.

Syd - your theory as always is spot on.In order to avoid mortar falling down the cavity the blocklayer would have to use cavity boards.I have never seen them used.The blocklayer on my own house was v. tidy but even then some mortar ends up slipping down the cavity.

If you can get the blocklayer to use cavity boards then by all means put the insulation below FFL.If not personally I would leave that small section of insulation out - just my opinion.
it depends what way you detail the dpm, I've got radon in and ties without breaking the radon membrane

Oh ok, so these strips are a seperate product. I was going to cut the Kingspan boards to make them.

Is this xtratherm better than the Kingspan equivalent ?

A friend told me that aeroboard would be just as effective given that I am pouring concrete screed on top of it. What do ye think ?

The xtratherm and Kingspan gives you much the same uVal but if you use Aeroboard Platinum Floor insulation you would have to use 100mm where 75mm of Kingspan/xtratherm woud suffice. You will need a miniumum 100mm of Aeroboard just satisfy the minimum requirement in the current building regs

If you have built up your FFL significantly above the existing ground level you will have a bigger build up under your concrete floor slab.You only require 150mm of stone so it may well be cheaper in this instance to use 100mm or even 150mm of aeroboard than place the additional stone and use the thinner Kingspan/Xtratherm insulation.
Just depends on the site layout.

Just wondering why everyone is so keen on Kingspan insulation? There are others that are every bit as good, and sometimes better, for far less.

Just wondering why everyone is so keen on Kingspan insulation? There are others that are every bit as good, and sometimes better, for far less.

like whom??

'kingspan' has become a name synonymous with Polyurethane board insulation... much the same way 'hoover' is used for vaccuum cleaners.

on this board its more often than not used to describe Pu or PIR insulation....

There is also brands such as Xtratherm and Ballytherm... what others are there?

Quinntherm would be another, if its still available. I do a lot of house bases as a contractor and it just seems that engineers always spec Kingspan. When pricing, I always ring my builders providers and ask them if there's an alternative giving the same u-value and more often than not there is and for a considerable amount less. And, yes, I do pass on the saving!

Quinntherm would be another, if its still available. I do a lot of house bases as a contractor and it just seems that engineers always spec Kingspan. When pricing, I always ring my builders providers and ask them if there's an alternative giving the same u-value and more often than not there is and for a considerable amount less. And, yes, I do pass on the saving!

you dont have to if the supplier is specified....

but fair dues!!!

birroc:

[broken link removed]

look at this little vid....

pay attention to the strip insulation thats installed just as the floor board insulation drops into place...

its located at the external walls to create a thermal barrier between the block and the concrete floor.

also....
look at page 4 of this document: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18751,en.pdf

you can see the strip insulation at the wall...

let these details be your bible!!!

Should I put the strip insulation on internal walls too ? I mean, the internal blocks also rest on the cold raft foundation so that acts as a thermal bridge to the screed - yes/no ?

Should I put the strip insulation on internal walls too ? I mean, the internal blocks also rest on the cold raft foundation so that acts as a thermal bridge to the screed - yes/no ?

for a better job... yes....

every little helps!

Thanks Syd, I am using 30mm of Kingspan for the exteranl 'strip perimeter' but I will use this other product that is only 10mm of foam (comes in 50m rolls, plumber told me about it) for the internal walls.

Nearly finished now. Only a few sheets left to put down. Nasty business !!

Thanks Syd, I am using 30mm of Kingspan for the exteranl 'strip perimeter' but I will use this other product that is only 10mm of foam (comes in 50m rolls, plumber told me about it) for the internal walls.

Nearly finished now. Only a few sheets left to put down. Nasty business !!

whats that product called birroc.. is it like pipe lagging foam??

oh, and if you think floor is tough, wait until you hit the roof!!.. :)

whats that product called birroc.. is it like pipe lagging foam??

oh, and if you think floor is tough, wait until you hit the roof!!.. :)

Just bought 2 rolls. Its 'Unitherm'. 8mm * 160mm * 50m. Used a lot when putting in underfloor heating it seems. It feels a bit like pipe lagging foam yeah. €40 a roll.

I wont be insulating the roof as such (I have 2 story), just rockwool in the joists. Dont mind that so much.

Back