New build - dimensions of rooms

muffin1973

Myself and my boyfriend after nearly 18 months are still awaiting the completion of our new build apartment that is (supposedly) due in August/September.

We have decided that we should start looking for furniture (a tad optimistic possibly).

Would anyone know where I could find out the measurements of the rooms in the apartment. Does the solicitor hang on to those details or would the estate agency know? We don't seem to have the measurements ourselves.

I would have thought that if you were buying off the plans, these shuld detail room sizes. Also, when you signed the contract for the apartment, all of these details should have been included in the contract.

Otherwise I would consider either contacting the selling agents for details or talk to the builder to perhaps let you in to a nearly completed apartment so that you could measure up yourselves.

If you have 18 months to go I would wait and by all means shop around but not purchase.
It makes no difference what the measurements are on the plans or brochure, the exact dimensions will be subject to change. For a rough guide, I would get the layouts and plan furniture items but you won't be able to make a firm decision until you see the apartment completed.
We bought off plans ourself and there were minor modifications between our house and the showhouse and if we had gone on the showhouse alone our carpets wouldn't have fitted!

Thanks for the advice - we could easily get carried away on Saturday if we went furniture shopping in the sales but maybe we'll wait now. Mo3art, we actually only have a couple of months left to wait (hopefully) but have been waiting nearly 18 months so far so it won't be long till we really need to buy furniture - it's just that with delivery taking two months at least in most places that we thought we should start looking now.

anyhoo - thanks again.

You're more than welcome.
Just a little note - if part of your development has already been completed and moved into, I'd drop into the local furniture stores, you may find that some of the occupants have furnished their apartments already and they already have the measurements!
For example, our local drapers has all the sizes for blinds and curtains in our estate, all the variances so it's very handy.
HTH

muffin1973

We were in the exact same situation last year! We had been waiting a full 2 years for our house to be finished. We got permission from the builder to go into another finished but unoccupied house to measure up the rooms.

It varies with furniture....we bought our 3 piece suite and bed from the same place but there was about 2 months between delivery. We had to store the suite in the back of a friends garage till we moved in.

Most furniture stores will give you a good estimate on how long delivery will take.
Some furniture stores will store your furniture for a short time.
Some furniture stores will store your furniture for a longer time...at a charge.

We just asked what their policy was. We started buying the May bank holiday weekend last year (with a June move in date) and moved in at the end of July. It kinda worked out!!

muffin1973,
A trip to IKEA is a great way to instantly furnish a house. I bought a house in March. At the end of February (before the contracts were signed), I got the estate agent to let me in to measure up the place. At the start of March I went to IKEA in Glasgow and brought all the furniture in one go. It was delivered 5 days later.
I'm really happy with the quality and design of the furniture - particularly the 3-seater and 2-seater sofas which are mega comfortable, some fantastic uplights, and those floating wood shelves.
I know a lot of people who have bought furniture in Ireland and have waited months for delivery. Actually, I know a woman who worked part-time at a furniture shop and ended up quitting because she couldn't hack having to tell bare-faced lies to people about when their furniture would arrive.
IKEA may not be everyone's cup of tea, but my house was transformed into a home instantly. Also, it was WAY cheaper than furniture in Ireland.
So, you could wait until August, see if you can be let in to the apartment to do measurements and then do your furniture shopping.
Best of luck.

Hi Mush,

Wow, I'm amazed at how fast IKEA delivered to you, that's brilliant. I was definitely looking into doing the Glasgow IKEA trip as friends of mine did it a few months ago and found it really good as well. They drove a van up to get the ferry from the north over to Scotland so were able to bring loads of things back and also ordered their sofas there but I never realised they could deliver that fast. My worry had been that if we leave it till August it would be ages till anyone could deliver but that would solve all that. Thanks!

And MargeSimpson - it's good to know we're not alone in having to wait so long for our first place - hopefully it'll work out for us too!

I think the delivery times can vary. I went with my brother. We were there on a Sunday. My delivery arrived on the following Friday. His delivery came a week later. Still, it was quick. The sofas took 4 weeks because they were sourced to order - some of the sofas are available in-store on the day, others are sourced from some other central warehouse.
We fit everything (except sofas) onto two trolleys (kitchen table, 6 chairs, shelves, etc.) and the delivery charge was £150.
I believe the delivery charge is the same no matter where you live in Ireland. So, if you don't live near furniture stores, it could be a good way to get stuff delivered right to your door.
The thoughts of furniture shopping every weekend didn't appeal to me, so it was great to get it all over with over the course of two days.

Back