New Boiler advice.

TillyD

We're looking to replace our outdoor boiler to an inside boiler. The reason for this is because the boiler at present is in a little flat roof extension at the side of the house and we're renovating the house and it's being knocked down so we need somewhere to put our boiler.

Maybe we would be better off sticking with a outside boiler we really haven't a clue which is the best to go for. All opinions welcome on this one??

And has anyone any idea how much a new boiler is?

Thanks!

PS we have oil CH if that makes a difference.

You could go for an outdoor boiler that comes in its own housing (a metal case) These cost about e1000 including pump. as for indoor boiler, they cost about e1200 including pump.

I have looked into boiler a bit recently as I am building a new house. The one I have decided on is a Grand Condensing Boiler. You can check them out on the link below. (I have no association to this company). Efficiencey is good and they have a number of different size options.

[broken link removed]

What's the difference between a "regular" boiler and a "combi" boiler? Thanks, apple1

Regular boiler

Space heating - Heats water in a sealed loop that circulates around your radiators.

Water heating - takes a branch off the sealed loop mentioned above and passes that through the hot water cylinder. That branch (hot water cyilinder coil) heats the water in your cylinder through heat exhange.

Combi Boiler

Space heating - as above

Water heating - heats hot water on demand. No cylinder/storage tank etc.

Combi's are great if your short on space and attic space for cylinder, water tanks, however you need decent pressure and if you have more than 2 bathrooms it may strugle to keep up with pressure demand if more than one outlet is running. another thing to bear in mind is if your boiler breaks down or runs out of oil you have no hot water, theres no immersion back up.

TillyD
I upgraded my gas central heating system in September and got rid of the Potterton Suprima ( notorious for having issues with PCI card ( control cards) issues so avoid at all costs unless you want to be having to put in new cards frequently at a hefty charge!!)

All the information I got from asking the pros led me to buying an Ideal Classic Iron exchange gas boiler. I would highly recommend it ! They have a brill reputation in the trade and last a long time unlike the Potterton Suprima range.

I dont recommend Combi's at present as they still still appear to have glitches in them and perhaps are really better suited for small homes or appartments.

RE costs: Davies in Harmonstown Road sell these to trade and public alike and are really helpful. I was able to buy everything off them at the same price the plumbers could so it really pays to demand that as you are paying cash,unlike the trade, you want a full discount!!

Hope that helps

Good luck.