New BMW316i

Did you see that BMW are introducing a 1.6 litre version of the current Three series. It will have 115 BHP. I fear that the engine might be too small for the size of the car. Anyone find any reviews on the 1.6 version ?

It's already on sale here - Joe Duffy and Frank Keane have already had ads in various newspapers trying to flog it on a contract lease basis. Haven't seen any reviews yet of the 1.6i engine type.

Probably an attempt to slip it into the market for some of the younger drivers who will be able to avail of the cheaper tax and (possibility of getting) insurance with the smaller 1.6 engine and more worried about the badge than with the power/weight.

Agreed, the lower tax and insurance will suit a lot of people.

There has always been a 1.6l 3 Series-yes? If so, I wouldn't imagine that the power issue is any different with this one, especially since modern cars tend to be getting heavier.

Its a 4 valve engine as opposed to a 6 on the 1.9 and up. Nice car easy ride but no great shakes

CCOVICH said:
There has always been a 1.6l 3 Series-yes? If so, I wouldn't imagine that the power issue is any different with this one, especially since modern cars tend to be getting heavier.

There has been 1.6l 3 series cars around for a while alright, they provide very good value importing some of the older ones, vrt far lower on the older cars, from the north.
A friend did import one of these and was offered nearly double his total costs (94, cost ~€2600, offered ~€5000) to which he declined. Absolutly loves the car... guessing something to do with rear wheel drive and wet Irish mornings.
Far from a rocket but more than enough speed for most of the motoring it gets to do on our roads and the extremely comfy ride does make up for it, IMHO.

Just to point out that the last 316i (02-05) was actually a 1.8 engine 115 BHP.Before that the 316i (98-02) was a detuned version of the 318i which meant it had a 1.9 engine with 105 BHP. The previous model 316i (92-98) was a 102 BHP 1.6.

There has always been a 1.6l 3 Series-yes?

Not correct the last model BMW 316 ( E46 99-06 ) had a 1.8l engine. All the names had bumped up engines up to the 323 which had a 2.5l engine.

The older model again ( E36 to 99) ,recognised easiest by the rect shaped head lights, had engines as per names.

I would not buy the new 316 as the 116 entry level has had poor reviews due to lack of power. No point buying a BM thatll be out stripped by a Punto at the lights ;-).

892896 said:
Did you see that BMW are introducing a 1.6 litre version of the current Three series. It will have 115 BHP. I fear that the engine might be too small for the size of the car. Anyone find any reviews on the 1.6 version ?

.... a cool looking machine if you just want to do some cruising though!

BMW are a fantastic car. My fiance and I both drive BMS's and we could not fault them!

892896 said:
Just to point out that the last 316i (02-05) was actually a 1.8 engine 115 BHP.Before that the 316i (98-02) was a detuned version of the 318i which meant it had a 1.9 engine with 105 BHP. The previous model 316i (92-98) was a 102 BHP 1.6.

I'm guessing that the 98-02 model would then be insured/taxed under the 1.9 engine? Makes you wonder why not go for the higher spec car to begin with (... other than the obvious, more expensive car).

Only ever had dealings with the older model (92-98, still a beautiful car if well looked after) and would have assumed the 1.6l engine was still present in the more recent 316's.

The most recent one is getting a lot of comments about being underpowered but I'd assume the ride/comfort (and the badge) will have it selling plenty.

You cannot go wrong with the BMW. It's all crap about the crap about the car being underpowered. The car is getting better year in year out. Although some people do see it as a staus symbol, I prefer to llok at it for style, comfort and reliability.

Lorz:

refer to previous coment also for full picture...

Originally Posted by 892896

I had a 92 316i a long time ago, i found it drank petrol

If it was my money and i had to buy new for 6K more i'd have the 318d
It should hold its valve more, the 318d does on average 50mpg, not sure what the 316i does as figures are not on the website but the 318i does on average 38mpg (not that bad, way better than my old 316i)

on the negitive side:
diesel is overtaking petrol price wise (why is that?)
cost an extra 150 a year to tax engine.
insurance would be the same..ish

i suppose it depends on the amount of mileage you do and how long you keep the car.

Lorz you are factually incorrect when you saw the 316i was a 1.9 for all the years between 99 and 2005.

Back