New BMW 318i

Anyone driven the current model 318i ? -It is a detuned 2litre version of the 320i.
I have driven the 316i {1.6 Litre} and was very disappointed with it -gutless to say the least.

Anyone driven the current model 318i ? -It is a detuned 2litre version of the 320i.
I have driven the 316i {1.6 Litre} and was very disapointed with it -gutless to say the least.

Why are you considering the 318i over the 320?

Insurance, tax? Compare the differences in the these...drive both and make a decision. Depends whether you're just looking for the badge or the drive. 4 pot engines in the Beamer are all gutless in my opinion. Straight six is the only way to experience them. Just my opinion mind you...

316i is the lowliest BMW money can buy. I'd rather the 116. At least that's a small nippy hatch with decent or rather quirky looks.

The tax would be the same as they are both 2 litre.
There is still a couple of grand price difference between a 318i and 320i.
The difference in BHP is 21.

I haven't driven the new BMW to be honest...but if it's anything at all like the previous model then you'll notice that 21 BHP more than you think when you drive both.

I drive a 325CI and the difference between it and the 318Ci is monstrous. Actually the difference between the 318CI and the 320CI is huge as well.

The few grand is an issue of course but I'd personally rather save the extra few quid and get the nicer engine. Makes a better noise too

is the 320i a 4 cylinder then?

I cannot understand why anyone would buy any BMW 3 series...they are woeful
and as for the 1 series....Stevie Wonder could have done better

Treat yourself to an A4 instead or a nice 1.9TDi A3

I have driven the 316i {1.6 Litre} and was very disappointed with it -gutless to say the least.

Had a loaner of the 316 and have to agree that it is absoultely horrible. Nothng going for it!

Buy any decent jap 2l if I had to choose.

Id go for a 320 though back on topic of the 2.

is the 320i a 4 cylinder then?

I cannot understand why anyone would buy any BMW 3 series...they are woeful
and as for the 1 series....Stevie Wonder could have done better

Treat yourself to an A4 instead or a nice 1.9TDi A3

I don't know about the new 3 series but I think you could be right in that new 320i is a 4 pot. If so I would steer towards a 323i at least.

As for the 3 series woeful comment...the lowlier 4 pot are humdrum at best. Well put together and nice to drive but no great shakes for the money you're asked. But once you get into the straight six range...and especially the coupe they're wonderful machines to drive. I was deciding between Lexus IS200, A4 and 3 series coup last year. The 325 won hands down in every single category. Marvellous machine to drive and own. A lot of the A4 range is gutless too....and an A3 (unless in S3 form) is fwd. Rear wheel drive gives far better driving dynamics.

Oh...and the BMW diesel range isn't too shabby either.

the only thing going for the current 3 series, is any model with at least a 2.5 litre engine or above is fun to drive, but then you are into serious money. The car just doesn't do it for me. I can think of better ways of spending €50k.
I just sold a 5 series 2.5litre and have to admit it was few & far between I got the chance to drift it around corners with the traction control off.

the only thing going for the current 3 series, is any model with at least a 2.5 litre engine or above is fun to drive

The 320CI is also fun to drive - 2.2 litre straight six.

And I've never drifted around any corners with traction control off either. I'm not a good enough driver to turn it off and have that kind of power on tap in an urban area. But it's still a fun car to drive.

I was out for a Test drive in the bmw 320d yesterday.The car was 05 the old style. I thought the car had a lot of poke and handle very well all in all a great car .The 318 looks just as good with a little less poke .For the extra cash i would look at the 320d. I looked around a couple of places and the 320d is hard to find.
Hope i have been of some help.
Cheers
!RAY

If you want a 3 series get a deisel or a six cylinder. I have had an 02 318 which I hd to drive the nuts of to get anywhere. Must say it handled better than anything I had driven. Went from this to 02 530i, what a car, superb engine great drive. I am looking at a 04 530D at the minute as I am going to be doing more mileage so I need a deisel. I have driven mercs and audis and they simply dont come close if you want to drive a car and get good feedback