new bathroom..tiles and suite

stresshead

I have a small bathroom (2metres x 2metres), with an avocado green suite which I'm dying to get rid of! I'm looking to install a new white suite and re-tile the room at the same time. I'm in the North Wicklow area and was hoping someone could recommend either a tradesperson or a company who deal with this sort of thing.

Anybody have any idea of how much I should budget? I'm not going for anything too fancy!

If you can get a plumber to do a straight swap ,I think you are doing well if he charge's you around 600-700 Euro, also plumbers also like to get the suite for you as they make a few bob on it, but you will also save as he gets it cheaper, tiling should be around 16-18 e per sq yard, would u not try tiling yourself

My parents have just had their bathroom renovated. They bought their suite, heated towel rail and tiles from Nationwide Tiles in Liffey Valley. They used three guys who work together, a plumber, a tiler and an electrician for the installation...they wanted the job done and dusted in one go. I can get a contact number for you, if you like?

Their bathroom is about 8ft X 8ft and they paid approx €2,000 for wall & floor tiles, toilet, handbasin with vanity unit,bathroom fittings, heated towel rail, large shower tray and new shower doors.

The installation cost €3,000 and they had the job done in 2.5 days

Their bathroom is about 8ft X 8ft and they paid approx €2,000.
The installation cost €3,000 and they had the job done in 2.5 days[/quote]

not being funny but €5000 for a bathroom sounds like alot of money!

We got the bathroom and the en-suite for about 6.5K including all materials and labour. Got tiles in Nationwide in Liffey Valley on sale (1.5k for both rooms), tiler and plumber separately (1.5k each for both rooms) and suites, towel rails etc in Eurobathrooms in Walkinstown. Argos also has towel rails, taps etc if you want to get the odd item there. En-suite is big for an en-suite but the bathroom is on the small side (say 2m by 2m aprox).

Okay I was obviously underestimating how much this would cost - I was hoping to get it done for less that €4K! Scary stuff!

Well our tiles were on the expensive side and it was 6.5k for both rooms, or 3.25k for each room, whichever way you look at it.

Oh! That makes me feel a lot better! Sorry I didn't read your post properly! My bathroom isn't much bigger than an ensuite anyway! I will look around and see what I can find out!

Newbie! said:
Their bathroom is about 8ft X 8ft and they paid approx €2,000.
The installation cost €3,000 and they had the job done in 2.5 days

not being funny but €5000 for a bathroom sounds like alot of money![/quote]

Yes it does seem expensive but just to clarify the €2k includes wall tiles from ceiling to floor. The tiles also have two sets of borders, one in the middle and one closer to the top...the borders probably cost as much as the tiles but thats what they wanted...they weren't the cheapest of tiles either. Due to the position of the bathroom door and the window the shower tray was a special order as were the shower doors, so were probably more expensive than standard ones and the towel rail was something like €500:eek: .

The 3K covered quite a lot of work. They stripped the existing tiles, put some kind of plasterboard up and then tiled the walls. They also replaced all the underfloor piping, repositioned the entire bathroom (nothing is where it was before) so that probably cost more than a straight swop. They took all the rubbish away with them and were very clean workers...always makes a big impression with my mum.

The folks are very happy with the work and it looks fab. They won't be getting it done again:D

They had received a quote for far less from another guy and he would source all the materials. They asked around and he was a bit of a cowboy, tiling over the existing tiles and leaving a lot of his jobs unfinished...so you get what you pay for.

I suppose the cost seems to justify itself so. There was alot of tiling there so that in itself would be pricey! I suppose, we are just going to do our first bathroom up, and with a little help from beloved families and thrifty spending, we're happening to get away with significantly less expense..fingers crossed!

We also put wall tiles from ceiling to floor, in both rooms and also with two borders each, which as Kiddo said, were the most expensive part of the tiles. However our job was a straight swap, everything went straight were it was before, no re-plumbing needed. A few things have been left "unfinished" but i know I will have no problem sorting them out, it's just I haven't gotten round to it. You do get what you pay for (sometimes) but we got some mad quotes... like the company that works with "tubs and tiles" in Liffey Valley, who quoted 16k for the whole job (on sale and with "special discount"). Yes right!

Back