New Astra Saloon

megabyte

Anybody take a test drive in the New 4 Door Opel Astra Saloon.
How good are opel cars.

I have a 99 Astra from nearly new(9 mts old). I have 192k miles on the clock. Just changing now but getting toyota corolla. Mechanic tells me engines in newer model astra is not as good as the old ones thus the change. I love the Astra I have though.

It will be a diesel but that is my question in a way.Which diesel would they recommend.
Has anybody bought one of these models lately and could give some info on what they think so far.

Prettyy much this is dead on...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/vauxhall/astra-hatchback-2004.aspx

Someone in the family has a 1.3 CDTi. Nice to drive, decent poke. The turbo cuts in a little late which means you end up getting caught out and needing to drop a gear a lot more than you'd expect. Feels well built, and handles well. Spec is a bit miserly and theres very little storage space in the cabin for bits and pieces.

We used to have a 1.7 TD in the old model which has great poke. But there seem to some issues with that engine, the engine light comes on and Opel can't fix the problem, which can mean you need a new engine. So I'd avoid that one myself. Search on the web for more info.

Here is an Irish review of the car for sale here.

[broken link removed]